Heater Hoses

  • Thread starter Thread starter thewily1
  • Start date Start date
T

thewily1

Guest
OK, stupid question...wouldn't normally ask but my Haynes manual is no help. So here goes... on the passenger side, mounted side by side at the top of the firewall I have 2 small pipes, about 1.5-1.75" in length, connected to nothing.
I believe these are to connect the heater hoses to the heater assembly inside the cab. But, I cannot find the routing scheme anywhere in my manual. Figure I better work this out before winter rolls around. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 
One hose goes to the water pump below the bypass hose. the other goes to the intake at the thermostat housing, but has a "T" right below the throttle body, with a 3/8 hose feeding to the top of the throttle body, then a 3/8 hose off the thermostat housing to the bottom of the throttle body.

I would be willing to bet you have a bad heater core...that would be the only reason to disconnect these lines. Run a pressure test on the core before reconnecting it.
 
Thanks bluesman17, I'd appreciate that. And sweepersqr8 thanks as well. I had not considered the fact that I might have a bad heater core.
Just assumed that, since I bought the truck in Az., the previous owner had disconnected the heater plumbing due to the lack of a need for one. Good call....
 
That T only exists in certain configurations. You may not have a place to hook 3/8 hose. Some trucks have a water cooling element in between the EGR and the carb spacer it is mounted on, and some don't. Some EFI systems have it at the throttle body and some don't. In other words, if you have a place on either a carb EGR valve or EFI throttle body, hook it up. If not, don't worry about it. The reason for it being there can be the topic of another possible post under another topic ;) .

You should have a couple of capped off connections on the engine. One on the intake manafold and one on the water pump. Actually it doesn't matter which one is hooked to which heater core connection, but for routing ease, the heater core connection nearest the firewall usually goes to the water pump.

I'm sure Bluesman17's pictures will make that clear B) .

Good luck,
 
Thanx Seabronc.... so much for standard configurations.

Anyone know how much I'm gonna drop on a new heater core???
 
Here they are sorry some are hard to see my camera was dying and I kind of had to hurry before it did
 

Attachments

  • Mvc_306s.jpg
    Mvc_306s.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 26
Damn.....bluesman17, those pics were spot on...I owe you one.

Looks like someone just ran a single line and looped the hose from its connector just above the valve covers back to the "T" connector just above the water pump.

Now I just gotta get some new hoses, and a new heater core.
 
Thewily1, if you look closely at the last picture the hose connects to a black hose with a coolant system flushing connector, from there down to the water pump. It does not connect to the same place as the other hose. The other hose connects to the intake manafold. The T you see is a cooling system flshing connection.

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top