Heater Core/coolant Leak

Bradt

New Member
I'm at my wit's end with this one. I've replaced the hoses going to and from the core with new ones. I've replaced the heater core. I've still got anti-freeze leaking into my floor. I can see where it's coming from, but can't figure out why it keeps leaking.

The water/anti-freeze flow through the heater core doesn't have to go in a certain direction does it? It's just a small radiator right?

Brad
 
The direction shouldn't make any difference. You are right it is just a mini radiator and water flows thru it weather the heat is on or off. Where is the leak comming from? Is it where the hoses hook on? If it's comming from the core, you probably just got a bad one. If it's from the connection try a diffferent style clamp or two of them with a slight offset between them.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Seabronc said:
The direction shouldn't make any difference. You are right it is just a mini radiator and water flows thru it weather the heat is on or off. Where is the leak comming from? Is it where the hoses hook on? If it's comming from the core, you probably just got a bad one. If it's from the connection try a diffferent style clamp or two of them with a slight offset between them.

Good luck,

:)>-
It looks like the leak's coming from the connector. I don't smell anti-freeze, and the air from the vents is dry as a bone.

I didn't even think of a different clamp! Good call. I'll give that a whirl in the morning.

Thanks,
Brad
 
If your air smells funny, kinda like coolant, not a bad smell, but smelling it a lot isn't that great, would it be the heater core?

How hard is it to replace one in an 88 Bronco?
 
88pimpin said:
If your air smells funny, kinda like coolant, not a bad smell, but smelling it a lot isn't that great, would it be the heater core?

How hard is it to replace one in an 88 Bronco?
i think it was clamps. No smells coming in or humidity, so it wasn't in the box. I changed the clamps and it seems ok now.

Not too bad if you pull the glove box out. Can get to it through there pretty well if you know where all the bolts are that hold the box together. It takes a little maneuvering to get the core in and out, but it's better than pulling out the dash.

Brad
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top