Harmonic Balancer ( Damper )

  • Thread starter Thread starter big_swede
  • Start date Start date
B

big_swede

Guest
I just bought a 1988 F250 4wd 351 f.i. (5.8 in the socialist countries) in excellent condition. I have wanted an F250 4wd for about 30 years. In the course of repairing a pinhole leak in a heater hose I noticed that the bottom ( crank) pulley wobbles, as if it were bent, when the engine is running. The engine is running as smooth as silk ( as smooth as a FORD)... but this wobblin pulley is driving me nuts. I loosened the serp belt and the pulley doesnt seem loose. And I cant find very much tech info online or in my books on this problem. Any ideas???
 
You might have to take the balancer off for a closer inspection, maybe the outer ring is coming loose from the centre, if so you will need a new balancer or get a recon one.
Greetings from a socialist country
 
I've had balancer's to shatter the neck that the crank slides into. Keep working fine with a slight wobble due to enough of the neck still catching the key way on the crank to power the belts. also the pulley could be bent. The only way to really check what he stated above and this is to pull the balancer to check it. does the truck have any kind of vibration while it's running?
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top