Hard To Fill With Gas

brentusbrutus

New Member
Hi there.. Has anyone had problems with putting gas in their Broncos. I have an 84 Bronco, recently certified, and went to do my first fill up, and it took me about 10 minutes to put 10.00 worth of gas in. The gas kept backing up, wanting to come back up the filler hole. When i checked the Hose that goes to the tank, it is close to being level between the filler hole, and the tank hole. My hose comes up around the top of the frame from the tank to the filler hole. What should I do? Can someone post a picture of what it should look like?

Thanks.

Brent
84 Ford Bronco
 
I have the same problem, I'm not sure if there is a fix for it so I just got used to it. If there is a fix I would love to hear about it. $-)
 
I have the same problem. I think it might have something to do with the vent tube that is also inside the fill pipe. I jujst fill it slow, can't use full trigger on it. I'm getting ready to take it apart soon to see if I can improve it. Just one of them Ford better ideas :D

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Same issue...
BUT it varies from gas station to gas station.
Some will go full nozzle, others will only let me go 1/2 nozzle and some will make it so slow that i cant even get the handle catch on the first notch.
I have also had the same issues on F150s with dual tanks.
 
But in reality.. the longer it takes to fill up.. the longer you get to enjoy the fuel you just bought :D
 
I've had the same problem and believe it to be the nozzles at the gas station. Some of them like the set up others don't. I never really looked further into it then that I just didn't go to those gas stations. But if there the cheapest....................
 
Yeah there is set of pumps on my way to the beach..they are sooooooooo slow and they usually take about a minute for each gallon! I went there once and it will be my last! I was almost late to my fishin spot!

I guess its all about the pumps you use..it does it to mine sometimes
 
I have had the same issue. When I dropped my tank there is a smaller hose within the tank filler hose. I yanked out the smaller one when replacing my sender and tank filler hose and it seems to be working better. I think it was restricting the fuel going into the tank.
 
I agree with drcarter0734, the problem probably has to do with the vent hose inside the filler tube. However, I disagree that it is restricting the fule flow in. The problem, atleast in my truck, is the escaping air/fumes that must come out when filling the tank, causes the fuel to bubble back up the filler pipe and the pressure causes the safety release in the pump hose to trip :o . The vent tube is supposed to let the air out to make space for fuel and it appears that it doesn't work properly, not the first time that a auto manufacturer made a design error :lol: . I plan to work on that soon :ph34r: , and if I find a solution, I'll post it.

Of course if anyone has already found a real solution, don't just sit there :-" , please post it :-B .

:)>-
 
I contacted Ford Canada, as well as Ford America, and a few of the Ford Service Dealers in my area with the question, and even gave them the link to our Discussion today. Hopefully they will have an answer for us soon.

Brent
84 Bronco
 
Here's the problem... the filler tube is the internal tube. The vent tube is the outer hose. the outer weakens with age and actually crimps around the filler tube in the bend over the frame , cutting off air flow. A new hose fron JBG ($34-$40) will fix this temporarly. I placed a 10'' section of flexable exhaust tubing over this section, and straped it to the frame to prevent rattles, work great so far, no more splash backs, or 30 minute fill ups.

Also may want to make sure the inner tube is still fitted over the nipple at the fill port, or gas will flow through both hoses causing slow fill ups.
 
Yep..Seems to all revolve around that vent hose..
Here's what the Ford Service guy emailed..

Most often the cause of slow fill up or "spit back" of fuel while refueling is a problem with the filler neck vent hose. This vent hose is usually inside the filler neck and runs down to the fuel tank. If the tank has been removed from the vehicle it may have been dislodged from its original position and can no longer vent the tank when refilling.

Hope this helps resolve your concern.

Regards...
Terry Allair
Fixed Operations Manager
Cambrian Ford Sales
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top