Great Spark!

  • Thread starter Thread starter 78mojavebronco
  • Start date Start date
7

78mojavebronco

Guest
WHAT A BIG CHANGE. I installed a ready-to-run distributor from MSD. One of the best things I have ever put on my truck. It does away with stock ignition box. The MSD is all self contained including ignition module. three wires to hook up, peice of cake.

part#8350
 
Did you get the whole MSD setup including the box as well?You're right,MSD is the only way to go.

getfile.php
 
The distribotor I got is part# MSD-8580(mechanical advance)it's 205.00.The 6AL box is 195.00,the coil is about 35.00 and the MSD RPM module selector is 48.00.So about 500 buck's for everything.The install is pretty simple,the instruction's are very detailed.With this you can eliminate all the duraspark junk,it definetly will clean up the driver's side of your engine compartment.It made a big difference on my motor.
 
The MSD ready to run distrbutor part #8350 Does away with the dura spark ign.
cost $280.00
coil $30.00
thats it no other parts.
Check out MSD.com
 
I'm running Champion's,2 heat range's colder than stock.The other's were too hot I was getting some blistering and bit's aluminum off the top of the piston's on the ceramic portion of the plug when I first started tunning my new engine combination.Now everything's good.
 
:P Thanks for the info Freak.
you say it does away with the ignition module on the drivers side i have a 79 and i am wiring up the MSD6 offroad ignition i all so have the MSD distributer and one more ? on the MSD box the main ground do you half to run that to the battery or can that just run to a good ground just asking becase my battery is in the bed
 
do yourself a favor and keep the duraspark mounted as a backup. If you installed the 6al control box using the white wire hookup it should be an easy emergency swap back when it fails out in the boonies. also, never run any type of platnum plug, you'll immediately melt the tips and can damage the control box
 
do yourself a favor and keep the duraspark mounted as a backup. If you installed the 6al control box using the white wire hookup it should be an easy emergency swap back when it fails out in the boonies. also, never run any type of platnum plug, you'll immediately melt the tips and can damage the control box
I never knew that about the platinum tip plugs. I have been having a ton of problems with my truck, all of which has happened since I changed spark plugs. Otherwise I have never had any troubles at all with my MSD set-up. I will have to try that remedy. Where does it state that about the platinum tips, I never say that anywhere in the manual that I remember. I sure hope I did not ruin the control box none. Thanks for the heads up!
 
Hey guys...first post. I am gettin ready to upgrade my entire ignition as well. I am having a hard time deciding between the MSD and the DUI systems. Anyone have the DUI or first hand opinion of which is better suited.(79 400, 4x4, 4spd, Holley 4bbl and headers/duals) DUI custom curves each dist. for individual applications and MSD is standard for all. I was originally leaning toward MSD, but DUI has me intrigued. Cost is about the same, DUI a few bucks cheaper for everything needed. Any thoughts?
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top