Got the Front end alignment

cjbronco

New Member
I just got my 82 front end aligned for the 1st time since I've been the owner, and I got some pretty interesting results and I was wondering what ya'll think. The RH side radius arm needed a huge offset bushing. The camber sleeve makes the camber acceptable, but the caster was still too negative. So the put the largest caster bushing in they could. Now I was wondering what this could be from? Is it ok? I have a 4" lift from rouch country and 33" tires. I do believe the truck has had an accident where maybe one of the front I-beams maybe bent and that could be the prob? Please gime some ideas!
 
That doesn't sound too good from your description!!! If you have the stock radius arms with the RC drop brackets, that in itself will make the caster harder to true up. Since it's on one side only, I would look at the r.a.-drop mounting bracket, the axle pivot drop bracket, and the radius arm itself for any differences from the other side. It's also possible the coil spring is getting weak, as I've heard of a few kits with that problem.
The bad thing about caster is that there is little to do to correct it other than moving the end of the radius arm forward with the bushing you described, and that shortens the end that's held on with the large nut behind the bracket. Installing the extended radius arms helps but that's a rather costly option if you buy them separately.
 
Well, when I was getting the alignment done, they guy pulled me into the garage, and I say that the spring a slightly bent. Meaning that it wasn't perfectly straight up n down but a little bent towards the back. I dont believe that the radius arms have a drop down bracket on. IDK what to do now? The previous owner had "just" put the lift on right before I got it. So idk if he missed somthing or what? Im not off-roading it all that often, but when I get a free weekend I do. What do ya think I should do?
 
It would be great if you had a pic of the current set-up, as it sounds like the radius arm drop brackets or lack thereof is your problem. The caster can be so far off that the coil spring is not vertical, and one end will touch the shock. If you do not have the drop brackets, the radius arms will be angled downward a good ten degrees. The solution is to get some drop brackets or the longer arms like suggested. I have an extra set of the brackets, from my Skyjacker 6" kit. I'll post a pic of'em so you'll see what they look like.
skyjbrkts2.jpg
 
I looked at yours and compared them too mine and mine do have the drop down brackets. I also saw exactly where the front spring bends and it it is more towards the top. IDK if its just the kit, or if it was the accident and bending one of the ttb arms? This is on the RH side.
 
I don't think you would bend the axle half-beam, as it's stronger than the other parts in the frontend. I would take a close look at the axle pivot drop brackets, the cross member and the axle pivot bushings themselves for signs of wear, cracks, or loose bolts. If that's all O.K., then you may just need to get a pair of better coil springs, and consider the extended radius arms to help alleviate the stress on the TTB axle beams.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top