gas mileage?

sreaminbronco

New Member
I know the bronco sure as hell wasnt made fuel efficient but what are some tips you guys have on getting better fuel mileage becuase i will be driving my bronco 45 miles daily to and from work and i cant get another vehicle cause im still trying to save up for one. HELP PLEASE!!!!!
 
Do you still have the stock tires on it? If not, this may be one of your gas milage killers. Also, look into changing the air filter to an after market such as a K&N air filter. Changing to a synthetic oil will help improve gas milage as well. It depends on how much money you are wlling to spend to save money.
 
One very important thing to do is go light on the gas peddle.
Think of it like this, there is an egg between your foot and the peddle, don't break the egg.

Cost $ FREE
 
msd ignition coil, taylor spiropro wires, and new plugs, gapped to .055. of course this is on top of being easy on teh go pedal, clean air filter, clean fuel filter, clean oil, etc. if you have high miles or existing oil leaks, don't use sythetic. the chances of leaks are greater w/ synthetic than conventional motor oil.
 
It's warm enough in Texas. Ride a bike! :D

I've been thinking of getting a moped, mainly for the summer. I figure I could get one for like $100-200. Especially if I can get a used one off of my friend that has probably 4-5. They go on family picnics with them, but their son is in college, and their daughter is going into college, so I may have a chance at getting one. It'll fit in my Bronco, too.

I was able to get an 85 FS Blazer interior spare tire rack for doing easy work and a pair of Jensen 6x9s. He doesn't have much money (I think he's on an allowance from his wife, considering all his DJ equipment and vehicles). So I might work some more for free and get up to being able to buy a moped very cheaply.

I hear that it hasn't been proven that TB spacers help. I wouldn't spend $80 on them just to find out.

Get a K&N filter (used ones are cheap) or clean your K&N air filter. Clean your MAF sensor if you have one. Foot off gas helps a lot.

You could try for a Festiva. Get one real cheap, or trade your Bronco for a different car, unless you're talking about just getting a spare vehicle with good gas mileage instead of selling the Bronco and getting one.
 
the egg thing is probably the best way to get better gas mileage.
the oil and air cleaner are too,a complete tune-up with quality parts,a good exhaust system with some headers will help,I got rid of my flex fan and put on 2 electrics.most things like tbi spacers and stuff work in conjuction with other things if you bolt on a spacer and your motor is bone stock don't expect anything,if you have a cold air in take or open element headers and duals,maybe some high ratio roller rockers a chip then it would probably work great and you would get some improvement.
you know something as simple as buying universal fit wires and making them as short as possible will help(shorter wire less resistance)i'd use the synthectics in everthing if you can.a good coil will help I run a jacobs,there are alot to chose from.
we all know that you're not gonna get great gas mileage but a good running efficent motor will help,besides the air we all breath too.
 
I think that maybe because of the weight of a Bronco or F150 that the 6cyl gets less mileage than say a 5.0l (302) engine, because it has to work harder. Even with my weighty (6100 lbs) 1994 4x4 extended cab with full length 8' bed I get around 18 mpg highway and 14-15 city and that's with a automatic! I have a friend who has a 1984 F150 standard cab 8' bed with the 6 cyl and gets the same 14 mpg with everything new in it (plugs, filters etc.) and he even has a manual 4 spd to boot!! So not necessarily a smaller engine will get you better gas mileage-I suggest for highway speeds not to exceed 65 (I know it's tough) and a gradual slow down to red lights and avoid quick hard acceleration will improve gas mpg. Also a gas additive (petro distillates) to keep the carb or injectors clean every month or so is good practice. :rolleyes:
 
:-&
sreaminbronco said:
I know the bronco sure as hell wasnt made fuel efficient but what are some tips you guys have on getting better fuel mileage becuase i will be driving my bronco 45 miles daily to and from work and i cant get another vehicle cause im still trying to save up for one. HELP PLEASE!!!!!
[snapback]15757[/snapback]​
i found that fan clutch was to stiff so i had to replace with stock (new) also k&n filter service tranny ,update exhaust system if possible,check tire pressure ,wash sounds funny but makes a difference get colder air to intake i removed my little piece right under hood ,just plainlly said unload things you dont need to have with you . hope this helps operez8862
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top