Fuel Gauge

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deep
  • Start date Start date
D

Deep

Guest
I have a 1987 302 Eddie Bauer Edition Bronco...recently dropped my fuel tank and replaced fuel gauge as it never worked when I bought truck 3 years ago. After installing new sending unit and topping off my tank, I was disappointed to find that my gauge was reading empty. When I turn my ignition off, the gauge climbs to 1/4 tank. With ignition on, gauge pegs at empty. Have been driving truck for a week now and have noticed as the gas level drops, my fuel gauge begins to move from empty slowly with fuel consumption up towards 1/2 tank.

It has been suggested that I have a faulty gauge. If that is the case any suggestions on a replacement? My gauge is tandem with the ammeter above it. It also has been suggested that I have a bad or faulty instrument gauge voltage regulator. Upon researching and looking through the tech manuals, I see the instrument gauge voltage regulator mentioned, but no clues to where it is. I have looked all under the dash and still have not found....can anyone provide some direction to this part?

Thanks
 
not sure of the piece your looking for. But make sure the sending unit you got was for a 87+ truck/bronco because if the unit you got is really for a 80-86 it'll cause the same trouble your having. 85-86 trucks/bronco's with the 302 uses a unit that looks just like the 87+. Just some info to ponder while one of are other members helps you with info you asked.
 
Also you might want to double check the ground going to the sending unit with a multi meter to be sure the ground is not bad.
 
if it reads empty probaly the float,if it a bad ground it reads full.
JFR-
 
Could be the sending unit, thats the problem with mine. It goes out on a lot of broncos. I still need to get it fixed.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top