Front Wheels Not Engaging

  • Thread starter Thread starter robertmcgowan
  • Start date Start date
R

robertmcgowan

Guest
I have a 1996 Bronco XLT 4x4 with auto-locking hubs. I bought the truck in 2001 and the orignal owner said he nevered used the 4 wheel drive. When I put it in 4 wheel H i can feel it engaging however, the front wheel never engage. Is this a problem with the Auto-Locking hubs or a bigger problem? Will Warn Man. Hubs solve this problem?
 
Autolocking hubs are famous for failure. I have Warn Manuels and Have never had trouble with them.
 
are you driving forward after engaging the 4wd? if not, then the auto hubs won't engage. i suggest swapping the auto hubs for warn premium manuals.
 
Everyone who has autos has the same problem and switches to manuals. Just go ahead and spend the hundred bucks or so, get the hubs and the conversion kit if you need it and swap them out. You will never have any worrys if you are 4WD or not.
 
THESE HUBS USUALLY DEPENDABLE ON FULL SIZE DON'T GET ME WRONG MANUALS ARE MUCH BETTER TO CHANGE YOU'LL HAVE TO GET OLD STYLE BEARING NUT- LOCK RING AUTO LOCKERS IF NOT WORE OUT PROBABLY NEED CLEANED AND LIGHTER GREASE INSTALLED AS THEY ARE TO STIFF WHEN COLD
 
If you do deside to do a manual swap.
Don't go and buy the WARN conversion kit.
Go the 4WheelParts or a local 4x4 shop and tell them
you need 2 spindle nut kits for your axle. Usually $8 to $10 each.
The conversion kit Warn sells is about $50
and is only 2 spindle nut kits in a Warn box.
$30 worth of cardboard and instructions I guess.
 
I agree with all the man. hubs are the only way to go. had a couple of friends who had the auto hubs and they had problems. I would just grin and keep on trucken.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top