Front End Thunk After Braking

  • Thread starter Thread starter FLYFSHIN
  • Start date Start date
F

FLYFSHIN

Guest
Ok, I think someone is probobly going to tell me it's ball joints or something, but here goes anyway.

When I come to any sort of hard stop (more than gentle) there's a thunk from the front end of the truck. I noticed it today even more when I was going down a steep hill, I had to make several stops. Anyone know what I'm dealing with?
 
Hello more than likely its the radius arm bushings . Mine are bad too and when i step on the brakes it clunks because the arm moves in the hole and bangs against the frame bracket its attached too . Not too bad a job to replace I just havent had time also Id buy the polyurethane ones from like superlift or energy suspension I believe they will last alot longer than the stock type rubber ones . Hope this helps :D
 
I concur. I have a post on replacing those bushings in the tech articles section here, hope it helps. I love the poly bushings, too!!!
 
I have the poly bushings on my bronc and about to switch them back to the rubber. when I was out the last weekend on a tral that was a little muddy under the mud was a stump .. well needless to say the poly bushings dont allow and give they broke the radious arm bracket instead. I thought hay those should last a long while .. well they are still intack just instead of them giving a little it tore another part up .. If you are going to be doing any off road driving I would suggest stay with the rubber for the give and not the oh those should last a long while reasons.
 
I will be doing limited off-roading. Is it too big a job to replace the bushings for a weekend mechanic?
 
Ok, I just looked at that article...I've never messed around with my suspension before, nor do I have a cut-off wheel to buzz the rivets. Guess I'll be taking this one in...
 
Raven, you bring up a valid point on the radius arm bushings and the weak brackets, but the newer poly bushings have about the same flex as the rubber ones along with longer durability. If you hit a stump or rock hard enough to rip off the bracket or tear the frame, I don't think it will matter what type of bushings you have. Some folks don't like to use grade 8 bolts in place of the rivets for the same reason. Either the rivets give way first or the harder bolts rip the frame. Even the stock arms have been know to crack in half if abused a tad too much.
 
bad part is I didn't hit the stump that hard.. and it punched the hole that the arm goes through to about the size of the washer ..

Fly it is about a 4 hour job the other way that you can do it .. if you contact me I can run you throught the process or even beable to help ya do it .. most of the places around here want $200 or so to do them ..
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top