Ford 9" Large Bearing Axle

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jeeprat
  • Start date Start date
J

Jeeprat

Guest
I would like to know what vehicles and what years Ford used the large bearing housing end with the lage bolt pattern. 3.556" x 2-3/8" housing end bolt pattern. I've been told everything from mid 1960's to late 1980's. I know thats not true because I beleive the 9" was cut from production in 1980. Any help.
 
If you're looking for a donor axle, for your... jeep... why not just look for an axle from a '73 + F150, or a '78-'83 Bronco? Since it reads like you're not wanting to narrow an axle, then a '76-'77 Bronco axle is one you're going to want to look for

Better yet, find a 12 bolt ;)
 
a 12 bolt?surely you jest?
what about the millions of fullsize cars ford put the 9" in?if you find one cut off all the mounts and start from scratch,get the right pinion angle relocate shocks what ever you might have in mind to do.
narrowing isn't too awful bad almost all the parts can be bought ready to weld and or bolt on.
 
(psst, yeah, I suggested the 12bolt, in a vague effort to keep the jeepers from buying all the ford parts. it's bad enough they use our D44s)
 
oh yeah!!i hate eeps they can't do nothing with out someone else's axles and motor
go chevy all the way eepman :))
 
I thought the name might get a few fired up. Truth is, I have a clean all original 1966 bronco also. I would never take it off road. Thats where the jeep comes into play.

I have a set of dana 60's from a 79 ford f-250. The rear had 30 spline axles, no good. I cut and narrowed the axles to JEEP specs and welded on mosers big ford 9" outer ends. I have the custom moser axles(35 spline) and detroit w/ 5.13 gears headed my way. Problem, Summit Racing gave bum info. Wilwood makes a disc kit but it has the small Explorer drum for a parking brake. Not likly to hold a 38" swamper in the woods. I'm fine with f-150 drum brakes, much larger than the little jeep brakes. Problem, the large end bolt pattern doesn't seem to be as common as would have thought.

Repeat question------->Does any one know the years of vehicle to find the large bolt pattern big ford bearing housing ends. 3.5" x 2-3/8". If not, thats cool. If I know a year range, I can call around the junk yards instead of walking thru the snow and mud in 10 degree weather.

Thanks for any help.
 
In the early broncos it was a matter of if they had the towing package I believe although you can tell at a glance from the rear if the truck is big bearing or not by how much the bearing area flares out.

In the 1978-79 Bronco & 1973-79 Ford Truck they used the big bearing but it is a different style from the early bronco big bearing... I think these are the same as the 9 inch used in the 80's broncos and trucks also.

I don't have the measurements on any of these but I hope this info helps. It might be expensive but you could call Bronco Graveyard, they have them for sure.

Dana
 
Jeeprat said:
Does any one know the years of vehicle to find the large bolt pattern big ford bearing housing ends. 3.5" x 2-3/8".

Thanks for any help.
look for an axle from a '73-'83 F150, or a '78-'83 Bronco, as well as a '76-'77 Bronco
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top