Floor Pans!

Bonehead

New Member
Hey guys Got started on the 76er with the dash removal, it went smoother than I thought, but one thing does lead to another and well now I have the windsheild off installing new glass ,heater assy out for new seals,ductwork...floorpans have been cut out My question is can I install new pans over the old Pans considering whats left, or is better to cut old out and then install new.Also would like to know will it be best to mig the metal back in or should I invest in a spot welder.Thanks Bonehead
 
I had bad rust right under the pedals on my 74. I ordered the drivers side pan from Duff. It had no ribbing. I cut out the rust and covered the rest with Rust-mort, which oxidizes the rust and seals the metal. I tacked the new pan over the old one after trimming it to accomidate the body mount hole and fuel tank selector. Then, I took a can of expanding insulation and filled the space between the two pans. It has been in place for about 7 years and has had no problems due to body flex or the elements. Hope that helps. have fun!
 
I had bad rust right under the pedals on my 74. I ordered the drivers side pan from Duff. It had no ribbing. I cut out the rust and covered the rest with Rust-mort, which oxidizes the rust and seals the metal. I tacked the new pan over the old one after trimming it to accomidate the body mount hole and fuel tank selector. Then, I took a can of expanding insulation and filled the space between the two pans. It has been in place for about 7 years and has had no problems due to body flex or the elements. Hope that helps. have fun!
BEFORE-you replace the floor pans. Find out where the water came in to cause the damage. On my 78 bronco. I found out that where the water enters around the wiper blade area-it flows down and has very small holes to drain out--getting stopped up real easy. What I done was drille holes in the oval are on the bottow--behind the front wheels. Then I went and at the seam behind the tire area where the outside faces the tire at the seam where the goes across. Seal it. Now I do not have water coming in.I used form a gasket.Been on about 5 years and still holding (sounds like the rabbit commercial) hahaha
 
I tacked the new pan over the old one after trimming it to accomidate the body mount hole and fuel tank selector. Then, I took a can of expanding insulation and filled the space between the panels.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top