Fan Belt

I've heard that the belts sqeak a lot but never come off. Maybe a new belt tenioner or a new belt? The gatorbacks are supposed to be good for belts.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it. Hell, it's probably just some screw that needs to be tightened. ;-)
 
The last time I had a problem with a belt popping off, it was a bent crank pully.
It would run fine and at all speeds as long as I didn't race the engine to get to speed.
As soon as I floored it though, the belt would pop off leaving the water pump as a paperweight..useless.

If the belt is reasonably new and of good quality AND the alignment of the pullys is good, I would watch during idle and see if any pulleys are warped or bent (might even need to use a runout gauge), any brackets loose enough to move under pressure of fast revving or that all the spacers for all the accessories are in place, no nicks in the pullys etc that catch the belt and ride it out of the groove.
After all that checks out good and it still does it, I would get the best quality belts I can find and use them.
 
I had a problem like that with my 85 (diff setup) just thought i would comment.. I changed pullies.. belts.. everything, coudn't figure it out.. I was onder it one day and kicked the throttle and noticed slight movement.. kicked again and the belts where off like a horse race.. now the kicker is.. i was climbing up to get a better inline view.. had my hand on the ac compressor.. when i went o lift the compressor moved. after short inspection.. you know that huge @$$ thick bracket that holds the compressor.. it was broke!!!.. completely in half!! how the hell I managed to achive it i will never know.. I'll get picks of it on here for ya..its a mystery and a good laugh..
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top