Engine

shaun94

bronco commander
Just did a full tune up and oil change on the old girl, I got a price on a remanufactured engine at neco engines here in manchester NH going to coast me about 2,200 hundred. My truck has about 165,000 and change. (hard miles) I figured I get the motor this summer.
 
nooooooo dont pay that much you can buy a remanufactered motor for like $1500 for a 302 and about almost $2000 for a 351 google ford crate engines. then they even give you money back if you send the old motor back to them.
 
If I get the 351 windsor will I have to modify my c6 tranny or my transfercase, I have an 88 fsb. :unsure:
 
as long as you have any of the 351's now then no. but if your pushing a 302 then yes the bolt pattern doesnt match up. at least i believe they dont match up. davids78bronco may be able to tell you for sure but i am almost positive the 302's tranny wont work for a 351. plus may i make a recommendation. go for the 351M (modified) close to same price but more HP and TQ.
 
Hey, sorry Gunner...
289 302 351W are the same engine family...
351 400 M are their own family (although they are still smallblocks)
429 and 460s will bolt up to the 351 400M tranny, although engine mounts and exhaust can be a problem (... expensive if you buy a "kit")
352 360 390 428 are another story all together...
 
The tranny and t-case should fit, but might have to rig up the wiring harness if changing from a 302 to 351W if you have EFI. My 84 had a new NAPA 351W H.O. longblock kit installed right before I bought it. Glad I didn't have to pay the $1600 price tag on the l.b.!!! (Freebie $-) )
 
HEY STLKIKN dont worry about i dont get mad if i am wrong like i said in the post i wasnt exactly sure. but hey you just taught me something i didnt know which is good. you hacve to learn something new everyday.
 
also if you've got a 302 you'll need a new flywheel for the 351w. the 302 flywheel will bolt to the 351w but you'll have a slight viberation. same if going from 351w to 302.
 
:huh: Man engines cost alot up there.I can get a reman 351w long block for $800. I'me glad I live down here (GA).
 
STLKIKN said:
Hey, sorry Gunner...
289 302 351W are the same engine family...
351 400 M are their own family (although they are still smallblocks)
429 and 460s will bolt up to the 351 400M tranny, although engine mounts and exhaust can be a problem (... expensive if you buy a "kit")
352 360 390 428 are another story all together...
Umm arn't the 351M and the 400M Big blocks? Cuase I had a 351M in my 80' F150 Ranger and Im pritty sure she was a big block. As for the 360/390 they should be the same i think.
 
i think they are small blocks with the big block bolt pattern.dont know for sure though.
 
In general a Ford block that is 351 or smaller is considered a small block engine. Windsor or Cleveland (including the "M" series and "Boss" 302 and 351 engines) The exception to this rule would be the 332 "FE" series engine.
Zakcode is correct...
Most "M" series have the big block bolt pattern.

The FE series ( 332 352 360 390 410 427 428) are big blocks.
The 429 and 460 are also of course big blocks, utilizing the same bolt pattern as
the M engines.
 
STLKIKN said:
the Cleveland series engines (including the "Ms") have the big block bolt pattern.

The 429 and 460 are also of course big blocks, utilizing the same bolt pattern as the C and M engines
The Cleveland doesn't use the big block pattern. It uses the small block 302/351w pattern. Also some rare 351m/400's use the same 302/351w patttern. While most all 351m/400's use the big block pattern.

In some crowds you've gotta watch calling the 351m/400 a small block, They believe there 100% big block. remember setting and reading quite awhile of em bickering back and forth about it. it was quite funny to me. because everyone has there own opinion.

I just call them the middle block because they sit in with the small block CID but put TQ output alot like Big Blocks. So the middle block works for me :D

I'm not bias against any of the motor's. They have there place in diffirent Ford models. While I like the 302/351w in the 80+ Bronco/trucks. but fall short in TQ in stock form to move the big heavy 78/79's. The 351m/400 really don't go good in 80+ rigs since there gas hog's and most use these years as DD's and weekend trailers. Thats when you hit the 460 a reason to get bad mileage with all the extra added power. Plus lots I've talked to get the same and sometimes better gas mileage from the 460 then the 351w. I say give me all that extra big block power for the same 10-12MPG as the 351w.

Even know I don't own a rig with one at this Time, By far the 300 I6 is the king. Great low end TQ box stock, huge TQ if built. fairly good gas mileage and run forever if even if abused. plus they leave a tad more room under the hood to ease on mech. on the bronco/truck. It may not put up big HP numbers like a V-8. But HP ain't so much the name of the game in a trail running 4x4's. it's the TQ where after. I've got a good 300 I6 setting here slowly gathering parts to build it. Once built and mounts found. good bye 351m in my 79 bronco or 78 F150 4x4 (odds greater for 78 F150, Since bellhousing only needed to mount it to the NP435 instead of full C6 tranny swap in bronco) hello TQ monster 300.
 
Oooops, my bad,
Yep you're right txquad.
Cleve's are small block bellhousing....
nothing to say in my defence.
 
I have a bud that has a RV cam in a 79 bronco with a 400... it helps alot with the TQ.. he also gets 17-19 mpg with it .. I am still hoping that he will let me know if he goes to sell it cause it is a great trail rig.
 
Raven said:
I have a bud that has a RV cam in a 79 bronco with a 400... it helps alot with the TQ.. he also gets 17-19 mpg with it.
17-19 mpg huh?? with an rv cam? how is this achieved what other mods has he done?
 
He still has the factory axles under it and is running 33's .. Not sure what else he has done with it except replace a few lifter springs as the break. when he bought it it already had the cam in it. The person that put it in didn't want to put new springs in on the lifters so whent to the biggest cam that the stock lifters could handle. The one thing that I have always heard about RVcams is they do increasse the gas millage and help with the low end torque how it is all acheved I am not sure you would have to ask some one that build then for that one. when we figured out the gas milage on it we drove from Port Huren MI to the sue in the UP of MI witch is about an 8 hour drive following the freeway at 70mph on 32 gal of gas. That is not including the little bit of driving we did up there visiting ppl. we didn;t fill up again till we left there. on the way back got a little worce gas milage due to the fact that blew the rear drive shaft on the way back and had to drive home with it the front axle.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top