Engine will not run right

79Crewcab

New Member
Hi, I really need some help with this one. I have a 351W in a 79 F150 that I completely rebuilt with new pistons, cam, lifters, bearings, timing set, etc, etc. I can not get the hesitation out of the mid range. It is so bad that it will not rev beyond 2000rpm driving in any gear or even in neutral. I have tuned the carb(Carter AFB) repeatedly, changed the ignition components out(brain box, pickup, distributor, ign wire from switch, plugs, cap and rotor). I changed the carb to a Holly that works just fine on another 351. I re-torqued the aluminum intake twice after running it several times in-between. I checked compression and all are 120-121 across the board. Its getting plenty of fuel(new filters and I hooked a hose to fuel pump from a 5 gallon gas can just to be sure) Its the same with or without air filter in place. I have adjusted the timing from 2* to 18* with no change in the problem. I'm at my wits end here :blink: , the next step to me seems to be to pull the intake and heads and look for something not right. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
 
Well after a lot of trouble shooting I found the problem. The rebuilt distributor was some how wired wrong. I took a chance and swaped the wires and it runs like a champ now.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top