Engine Swap

  • Thread starter Thread starter YouthPastor
  • Start date Start date
Y

YouthPastor

Guest
I have restored several jeeps. Please no comments. I want a new challenge. i have never been a Ford lover but always liked the early Bronco. Bought a 74. She has a 6cyl. & 3 on the tree. I want to swap to a 302 with auto. First things first. Will the 302 bolt up to the three speed? If so any problems or adapters needed. Will most early 302's mount? B) Second, If I find an auto for the 302 what problems will I have mounting to the transfer case?
 
Are you talking a 3 speed auto or 3 speed manual? From the post it shounds like auto. I would think the V6 is different.
You will need to cut off the V6 engine towers and install the V8 towers to the frame and get some new motor mounts. To get the automatic you would need a new steering wheel/shaft so it has the auto shifter on it.
 
The 6 cyl trans is shorter than the V-8 tranny. You may encounter problems with the back of the heads/ valve covers hitting the firewall if you stay with the stock trans.
If you are looking for a (V-8) C-4 auto for a swap, pm "maritime mudder" here in the zone, he has (had, not sure if it sold yet) a complete "kit" (column w/shifter, linkage, rods, trans and t/case) that he is looking to sell.
Any 289, 302 or 351w will be a direct bolt up to either the 3 spd std or the C-4.
Just make sure that any engine you purchase comes with the appropriate brackets, pulleys, harmonic balancer and flywheel/flexplate.
And as Broncoholics already mentioned, you will need to replace the engine mounts and towers with one from a V-8 truck (again check with MM he may have something for that too!!)
Good luck
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top