Engine Swap Tips?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DSal
  • Start date Start date
D

DSal

Guest
Hey All,

Unfortunately my new acquisition, a 79' beast, decided it was time for its oil pump to stop functioning and seized as I was bringing it home.

Anyway.. its been a few months now and I finally have a bit of time to swap out the engine. Snagged another 400M in pretty decent shape. Unfortunately I dont have the $ for a good rebuild, so I'm just swapping.

Do you guys have any tips for me in this swap? What else would you recommend I change besides the oil pump. I have a minor list, but need to get ready to order the parts asap. Also, any recommendations on where to snag these from other than a ford dealership?

belts
water pump
fuel pump
rocker cover gaskets
thermostat
oil pan gasket

Thanks all, I know your input will be a hell of a lot better than the ricer buddies of mine and their suggestions of "neon winshield washer nozzles."


D
 
One thing I would be sure to check is the rear main seal, if it's leaking this would be a good time to fix it. Also while it's out check all your casting plugs (freeze plugs) for leaks. You should be able to get all those parts from any parts store ie. Napa, AutoZone, Checker, or any other parts place like that. I used to work at a Ford Dealer and unless you get a parts guy that's been there awhile they will just look at you funny when you ask for parts for one that old. Have fun and good luck with it. B)
 
if you are going to be using the engine from a manual and dropping it in a truck with an auto, make sure that you use the proper shim plate that goes between the flex plate/ flywheel otherwise you wont be able to put in the starter, works the same way fromauto to manual....... make sure you use the right frame mount towers for the engine :D
 
I strongly recomend changing the timing chain and gear set.Old style cam gear has pasltic gears.Not a good idea to run if the engine sat for any period of time.
Also a new set of valve seals would be in order also.
 
Since you're changing the oil pump out, put in a heavy duty/high volume pump. This will eliminate the oil starvation problems to the rear main on start up, which is probably what happened to your last engine. This is one of the weak points on the 350/400M engine.
 
Thanks for the tips all!

Will be doing most of the work this weekend. I have the big boy up on the stand now and will be putting the goodies on it. Then we'll see how the extraction and replacing goes :)


D
 
Yo homie, u needs sum dope azz bling bling 4 yo hood. Like dis

neonwindshield.jpg


da honeyz luv da bling bling!
 
We all know that the bling bling and the R sticker give another 20hp :)


If your engine can't do it..rice can.


Btw thats a buddy of mine just messin with me ;)
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top