Engine Question

walkdawg

New Member
I just purchased a 89 ford bronco. I am doing a few things to it and when i went to change my spark plugs I found that the reccomended plug was to small. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how i could tell if someone changed the heads and what size the could be?
 
Look at the head in between the header/manifold and the valve cover. If your Bronco has the original heads the first letters in the casting number should read E9 Fords casting numbers as I understand it are C=6- D=7- E=8- then the number goes where the hyphen is. They might read E7 too look at the number and Take the number and say it is for an F-150 of that year with a 302.
 
there is a chance that some one put older heads on the bronco
 
Alrigtt guys I finally got a chance to look for numbers on the heads the only numbers i have came up with is 6h26. This number is under the valve cover. I was not able to find anyother numbers. I guess it is not really a big deal I just thought it would be good to know if there are different heads. Thanks for the help. :huh:
 
check to make sure the auto parts store gave you the right plugs. because the plugs in my 70 model 460 are the same as my 86 302. they're also the same plugs my 351m/400's use. even 76 351w i've got the plugs as the same part #'s as the others. haven't checked the 95 351w maf efi uses the same plugs. but i'll check the part #'s when i get the chance. go to like www.autozone.com and research the plug part numbers to see what all are the same as yours.
 
I looked all that up to see if autozone gave me the correct plugs. The part number the a stock 302 is motorcraft 450. I got those from autozone and they was too small. I pulled the old ones out and they were autolite 5144, which is a 444 motorcraft but I will do some more look alittle more.
 
The old heads had 18 mm. spark plug holes. I believe the 6h26 is the date code .The 6 being 1966 or 1976. H being august(8th letter of the alphabet) and 26 being the 26th of august.
 
I went to motorcraft web site and put the plug number the part number I bought to put in it. I put 444 motorcraft plugs in. They are the same size as the autolite 5144. Motorcraft says my plug goes in a escort. I know thats wrong. I was reall only worried that the gap might be wrong I used the stock gap of .44. It is running good right now. I really appreciate the help. Thanks allot. I plan put on some pics soon. :) :rolleyes: :) :) :) :)
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top