Electrical '95, 351

  • Thread starter Thread starter BuckNaked
  • Start date Start date
B

BuckNaked

Guest
Red interior battery light went on @ noon. Later that night all the lights went dim, all electrical went out and stopped running. Bought new alternator from NAPA, they recharged batt. for a while. I installed everything, it worked great for 4 days. Then the exact same thing happened. I swapped batteries with a 03 F150 to get me home. Even with the newer F150 Bat. my inside bat. gage was below normal telling me that the alt was probably shot again. When I got home I noticed my original battery was low on water. About 36 oz's. Would this low water in the battery cause the alt. to go out? Someone mentioned it may be a regulator problem between the starter and the alternator. Suggestions would be apprerciated.
 
Hmm, maybe it's overcharging (regulator or some computer cr@p) the battery and boiling off the battery juice? I feel for ya, I have electrical problems. But low water would make the battery difficult to charge ^_^ and with no charge, keeping the truck going. I'm sure someone can help better than this. Consider this a wordy bump for ya :D
 
We had a similar problem on our 85 Bronco. The first replacement alternator was also no good. We had the 2nd one tested before we installed it.

If you have a Sears automotive near you, they offer a charging system check for only about $15. This will tell you definitely what the problem is.

Good luck.
 
ford had a recall on there wiring plug that plugs into the alternater I am supprised that the new alternater did not come with one. advance autos did. non the less cut yours off and replace it. there has been more then 1 fire from them and there cheep.
 
advance auto and auto zone in my area both test the charging system on the car and also will test the battery and alternater off the car for free.
 
one thing to remember is alot of the fords had a seprate voltage regulator see if that one does or not if it does try replacing that. have the alt checked also ..
 
I have a 92 and my alt caught on fire so I replaced it with a one wire 140 amp alt from summit about 140.00$ and it works great no more problems in the charging department. Would recomend it to anyone.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top