Efi Or Carb?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smedic2547
  • Start date Start date
S

smedic2547

Guest
I have a very tired 5.0 EFI. I just bought a newly rebuilt 5.0 with big cam that is carburated with 2500 miles. Should I keep the carb or rebuild the EFI? I will mostly be street driving or pulling a 3000 lb Travel trailer. I am currently running 37in. tires with a 411 rearend. Any suggestions????? Thanks.
 
I had an '84 with a carb, now I have a '95 fuel injection. Just the cost savings in gas makes it worth going fuel injection in my opinion. It works much better at higher elevations also.
 
I agree if you can go with fuel injection with little cost I would throw the carb in the trash. Too bad they dont have efi for 400m's. :((
 
you don't state the year of your Bronco. But yes a EFI system is much better then a Carb'd rig. If your Bronco is new enough to have the MAF EFI system they'll easily work well with big cams and upgrades to a point. The SD system will allow ease of cam upgrades and such to about 20% more.

try www.fordfuelinjection.com for lots of info over it.
 
CARBBED UP!!!!!!! wouldnt trade my carb in if someone offered to give me fi and install it for free. i love my carberator and unless you have a lot of money i suggest you start liking it to. to convert a carbbed engine costs a pretty penny.
 
You say you already have the EFI in your truck but the new motor is setup with a carb, right?If that is the case then KEEP THE EFI!
You may want to replace the injectors and will want a top end gasket set. Also you should throughly clean the plenum inside and out.
Fuel mileage is a big deal now, next year they say the cost of a gallon of regular unleaded will be around $3.00 & I will be willing to bet any amount of money that the following year it will be between $3.50 & $4.00 per gallon, my guess is it will be closer to $4.00 which INHO it total Horse $h!%.
 
Keep the EFI. Converting to a carb from an EFI would basicly require trashing your existing computer and harne3ss and getting a harness and computer for a carb.

I happen to have a carbed 351 but wouldn't convert to a EFI for the sane reason you shouldn't convert to a carb. That is assuming that fuel economy :lol: if there realy is such a thing in a Bronco, is your goal.

I love a carb and wouldn't convert even if I had an EFI setup.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
i have a 5.0 with 305,000kms. gave her a lil' tune and i have no power problems. i don't think carb is a good trade cause o fule eco, but carbs always step out and need constant tuning, jetting and if you go to the mountains the thin air hurts carbs way worse than efi
 
the design of EFI does get more torque and fuel efficency than a carb but EFI is much harder to tune being that everything is controlled by a computer. carbs are easier to tune and also provide more flexibility for upgrades in the engine.

P.S. because this is such a popular subject, we should add a dedicated section in the how to formus about this subject.
 
this isnt in the HOW TO topic guidelines. thios is people talking about whether or not they should do it. the HOW TO is for someone who actually did it.
 
Ok, for those of you that have removed efi for the choice of a carb. Obviously you have to replace the high pressure inline pump with a low pressure one, would you disconnect it, or leave it in place and running?

Reason I ask is I just got the EFI put back on and I have rough idle when cold and wont start when hot for about 10 minutes after you shut it off. I just tested the tank pump and it isn't running. I am hoping it is disconnected somewhere.
 
4xfan78 said:
I agree if you can go with fuel injection with little cost I would throw the carb in the trash. Too bad they dont have efi for 400m's. :((
4xfan78, you can buy an aftermarket system and adapt to the 400m. My dad jut put a BDS fuel injection on a #51 windsor braket racing motor with the bug catcher type throttle body. It may be a little epensive but it can be done.

I would also go for the EFI instead of the carb.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top