Edlebrock Performer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saint351
  • Start date Start date
S

Saint351

Guest
Latley I have started to think about getting a carb and i was thinking about getting the edlebrock performer 600cfm electric choke because it claims to be user friendly and reliable with good performance. I have the 351 h.o motor in my 85 and I was just wondering if anyone else has put that carb on that motor and how well it worked.

saint351
 
That carb should be fine for you. I have the manual choke 600cfm (EDL#1405) on my 85 Chevy 350V8. Right now I have a reman. Holley 600cfm (HLY#4180) on my Bronco with a Pereformer intake. I plan to swap the carb for an Edelbrock soon. You will need to adapt the kickdown linkage for the auto tranny if you have one.
 
My 83 had an edlebroc performer intake manafold and Holly 600 CFM carb on my 351 when I purchased it. The linkage was such a cob job I took both off and went back to a stock ford 4bbl intake and Ford Holley. It runs better now than it ever did with the edlebrock holley combo, not sure which holley it was but the throttle plate linkage was a nightmare. I probably have the kick down rod you need as it is shorter than the one that goes with the stock setup. Also have the edlebroc intake setting in the gartage if you are interested. The outside of it is dirty but just needs cleanup. I'm sure my experience is due to someone that didn't really know what he was doing and cobbing it together. All I can say is that it has never run better and with more reserve power than it does now.

Good luck,
 
Try it without the kickdown bar, I took mine out quite a while ago and have no problems with gear changes, I have 19* of vacuum at idle.
Henk from Oz
 
The one in the picture had a Holley mounted on it. A standard 4bbl Holley 600 CFM or the Ford Holley 4bbl will fit on this one. Not sure about the Edelbrock carb bolt pattern.

:)>-
 
The edelbrock carb should fit that intake just fine. The only problem I have heard of is that edelbrock carbs willnot fit chevy's but who really care's about there problems. :P
 
The Edelbrock is a good road runner but runs badly off road. Any tilt to the vehicle, the float on the tilted side is flooded and the other side is empty.

I found the Q-Jet is a good off road carb & runs at any angle. The float bowl is in the center. They used these for many boats back in the day. The large secondaries of the Q-jet really sucks the gas though. I notice 3/4 throttle is full throttle. Anymore gas applied it floods out. Perhaps I need a larger cam! :huh:
 
I guess it depends on what its on and how its adjusted because thats all I have ever had on my 4x4's and I have never had any trouble like that.
 
A little trick that i heard for keeping you carb running at any angle is get a fuel line or even a break line and run it like they do on the truck avenger carbs over the top of the carb

never tried it but a friend of mine said he did it with his 83 and it worked fine
 
edelbrock bolt patterns are the same as stock except for some of the higher performance setups. check the website and browse the specs for compatibility.
 
SeaBronc, that is a good intake, and I think your problems were definitely carb-related. The Performer intake I have is a stock replacement, and it has only one vacuum port instead of two. Some mechanical knowledge and engineering was needed to block off certain lines that may run to smog equipment or accessories. You can split the lines to keep all of this stuff, but let's just say I no longer use my cruise control. There are some lines crucial to carb operation and vacuum advance on the distributor. A diagram helps if you can get your hands on one! Most of the ported vacuum fittings were broken or non-functional when I bought my Bronco, and any leaks will hurt performance.
 
I agree, the intake manafold was not the problem. The carb instalation was a real cob job. Also, there wasn't a single ported vacuum fitting on it, only the spark advance. I replaced it mainly so I could put all the controls back on it. Without them I had to babysit the truck for 20 minutes in the winter to let it warm up before it would move. It is now back to an 85 351W 4bbl configuration. I had to build the vacuum system myself from a calibration chart.

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top