Edelbrock Idle High

grande_guerre

grande mondiale
I just put an edelbrock 1403, 500 cfm, on my 351W, and it's idling really high. I couldn't give an exact estimate(my tach isn't wired in yet), but it is more than the original high idle. I'm guessing around 2 grand. Could it be the idle mixture? i haven't messed with any of the screws yet, and it seems like the idle adjusting screw is really low, but the throttle itself will not go down that far. Help!
 
Sounds like either somthing is binding up, possibly a timing issue, the choke is sticking, vaccumm problem, or the fast idle adjustment is off. Did you buy it new or used? Usually a new one needs very little adjustments done to it to get a smooth idle. Oh yeh I made it from Anchorage Alaska to Augusta Georgia in 9 days only broke down once, and stayed in a motel for 1 night.
 
Hook up your tac. It really helps. Then go thru the setup instructions. You should set the cold idle just the same as for a stock carb. After that is set up, set up the curb idle. Did you have any issues in adapting the throttle cable to the 1406? It could be binding if not strait on.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
The carb is brand spanking new, i haven't messed with anything, except adding the ford kickdown adapter, and the return spring. I moved the spring out of the way of the throttle, but it's still high idle. The only thing possible i can see is that the bracket is too far away... is it hard to find a bracket for a stock 351W?
 
Oh, 4Xfan78, you made good time. I was restricted on my trip from fairbanks to phoenix by my bronco's speed. I could only do 60 to 65 without fear of it exploding. But sadly the trip proved too much for the 302... But I'm glad she struggled the last leg from tracy, CA to phoenix. B)
 
There is always some setup required. The instructions should have come with the carb. The carb comes factory setup to make sure it runs when installed but not perfect for all engines. You need to do the cold idle adjustment and then the curb idle adjustment (some call it hot idle). I wouldn't mess with the idle mixture, that can be adjusted but only with a vacuum gague and only if there are indications of the truck running too rich when started and at idle. I'll look on my bracket shelf this morinig to see what I have.

:)>-
 
OOOOH! just remembered something, when I put my new Holley on I had a bind with the Ford adapter for it. It was a universal adapter and had parts on it that were not needed for my installation. The bottom of it was binding on the Heat riser control that is next to the carb. It was hard to see, but the bottom lobe of the adapter was rubbing the base of the control. I had to cut that piece off.

:)>-
 
Here are the fast and curb idle adjustments I am using for my 351. :)>-
 

Attachments

  • DCP_0703aa.jpg
    DCP_0703aa.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 38

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top