Easy Front Lift

  • Thread starter Thread starter custom_78
  • Start date Start date
C

custom_78

Guest
My bronco didn't sit level and already had a 4 inch lift kit on it, but I wanted it to sit level. I bought some aluminum round stock and cut it down to the size that I wanted the lift to be. After it was cut I made sure it was truly flat by using a lathe, but you could also use a sander. After it is true and flat use the bottom spring cup to mark the two holes that have to be drilled. Clamp the spacer blocks into a drill vise and use a drill press to drill them. Make sure the drill bit is long enough to drill through the entire spacer. When your done get bolts that are how much ever longer your lift is taller. I made spacers for the front of my bronco that were 2.5 inches tall to give me a total of 6.5 inches of lift.
 
I've them for Bronco's needing the coils leveled out. Most just use a shim under the lower coil cup to level the coil, anything thicker will lift the truck. I wonder how well the new londer bolts will hold up. Some have done this to eliminate the problem.
 

Attachments

  • track_bar_mount_2.jpg
    track_bar_mount_2.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 78
The longer bolts have held up fine. It's more like a front block lift. Make sure you use grade 8 bolts because of their length.
 
Here's a picture of my spacer.
 

Attachments

  • Picture_069.jpg
    Picture_069.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 78
why didn't you just lower the bucket?you don't think that spacer is dangerous?that's no differant than putting blocks under a leaf sprung front.if 4 u bolts aren't safe enuff to hold lift blocks on the front why would 4 bolts?think they might shear?
you did say aluminuim didn't you?what happens at 65 mph and you slam on the brakes?think that spacer will stay?
 
The aluminum is plenty strong. The bolts are grade 8 hardware so they are the strongest you can get. It should be plenty strong. This isn't permanent though. I am going to get longer progressive rate coils when I can.
 
I disagree with the idea that putting a lift block under a coil spring is equl to block on a leaf spring. True, blocks on a leaf are a bad idea due to the torque of the engine working against gravity, equal and opposite reactions, and the fact the blocks are held on by long bolts that may be pushed to the limit. The front axle is not held in place by the springs, but by the radius arms and track bar. The radius arms already handle all the breaking force, as well as impact energy. The springs only hold the body up (well, hold the tires close to the ground...). Unless there are other problems that cause the Bronco to be unroadworthy, there should be no difference in the risk of a blow out or collision. It is also the usual way coil springs are lifted in articiles in print mags.
 
good for you!you can argue the point of half assing something.knock yourself out i think it's dangerous and i wouldn't do it myself.me personally i have 3/4 ton when i want to fit big tires i buy a big truck.they make lift kits to do everything you want safefully you can buy them used anywhere.
nothing wrong with fabricating but like you said it's only temp.if you have an aluminum block how good are the grade 8 bols that go thru it?
be safe not just for you but the folks on the road like me and my kids.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top