Dump Points Or Not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jmcallis
  • Start date Start date
J

jmcallis

Guest
I was looking at ignition upgrades for my 66 289, and I saw that you can get a kit to replace the points setup with an electronic ignition system. Does anyone out there already have this done and what are the noticable differences if any? Easier starting, more power, better milage?

Thanks Jason
 
Electronic ignition is the way to go.

You will benefit from better mileage, easier starting, and a better more useable powerband. (as well as never having to clean/ gap your points ever again)

There are a couple of ways to go.

PERTRONIX IGNITOR II, it has a variable dwell system built into it.
And it fits completely under the distributor cap. (under $100 US)
I have had one in my 67 Cougar for about three years, it has performed flawlessly)

You can use a factory Ford set-up. (junkyard prices)

Or you can spend the big bucks and go with a full aftermarket system. (???)

It all depends on what you want/ need from your trucks performance.
 
Points are good and simple and cheap price wise but there are several ways to go electronic.One of the best upgrades I have seen is stock ford duraspark,it works well and as said above you can get most of it at a junkyard.Check this link out,it's done on a 351W but get parts from a 289 or a 302.I went the TFI coil and saw a great improvement.http://users3.ev1.net/~bmarr/duraspark_ignition_upgrade.htm
 
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. I think I will move away from points. It seems if you didn't grow up adjusting them, then they are hard to dial in correctly.
 
i have heard that you get alot more juice to the plugswhich helps burn off more of the fuel so yes it does help you out a WHOLE LOT..
 
If you do a lot of mudding Get away from the points, points and water don't mix. I had a lot less probs whan I swaped to HEI when I had my 72 GMC 4X4.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top