Door Problems

Col Klinx

New Member
The doors on my 78 pickup don't quite close all the way, at best there is still a noticable gap at the back bottom corner of the door, if ya look through it you can see the ground, you can also tell its still loose. Any ideas on what to check to remedy this problem? I came out of school one day and had snow drifts on my floor and seat and thats when i noticed it. At first i thought the doors we're warped or sumthing but it turns out they just don't close all the way. Any help would be great. Also i just got my new CB radio and i think iam gonna mount it to the roof of my truck does anybody know what that involves or how much it would cost to have a shopt do it?
 
Do not know about the cb thing. The prob. with the doors sounds like the hindges are bad, need 2 people and about $30 to fix. If they still do not close correctly I would check the striker, it may need adjusting.
 
I would not suggest mounting the cb in the ceiling, I did that one time after hitting my head several times I put down on the floor under the dash next to the glove box. Also got tired of the mike cord whiping around and catching my hand and face while trying to drive on ruff roads. as far as the doors go I agree with the others, it sounds like the latch needs adjusted, had that trouble on my suburban once. only adjust a little at a time, a little moves a lot.
 
Open the door and grab a hold of the bottom corner and see if ya can lift up on the door,if so the hinges are worn out.Also check the striker pin to make sure the plastic bushig that goes around isn't worn or missing.You also can adjust the striker pin in some to bring the door in for a tighter seal.By the way if the striker is worn out you can buy em new at just about any parts store for around 6 bucks
 
Billz4x4z said:
By the way if the striker is worn out you can buy em new at just about any parts store for around 6 bucks
I've got a spare set of strikers w/bracket if you need them. I just needed the bushing off them, so let me know.

Best bet for your hinges/strikers/bushings is to go to a salvage yard. Most places (at least around here) don't care about those parts and will give them to you. Just remember to give the yard guy a fiver and he'll hook you up.

brad
 
Do ya think that it could be the weatherstripping cause i was looking at the passenger side door and it latches all the way and the strikers are fine but it rattles sooooo bad goin down rough roads. Where could i go for a complete door seal kit and get the best deal. I saw some at JC Whitney that looked good. Also would weatherstripping from newer Ford trucks work because my Uncle can get me some from his plant in Kentucky for free.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top