Dented Shocks

EB Bronco

New Member
I was changing the oil and greasing the ball joints this weekend when I noticed that both of my rear of the dual shocks up front have dents from the coils. Could this be from over flexing the suspension or could there be something wrong up front? My alignment is right on target and tires are wearing good. The only thing I can think of is my off-roading and flex I put the Bronco through were too much. Any ideas would be helpful.

Roger
 
Sounds like you have too long of shocks in the rear mounts. When the shock collapses all the way in and can't go any further, the weight of the truck is crushing the shock body causing a dent. Just opposite: When the radius arm moves upward as you drive over a rock the rear shock will run out of travel before the front shock due to space between the frame and radius arm.
This is why you need a shorter shock in the rear mount and a bit longer one in the front. The coil will never hit the shock unless it comes disconnect from the top or bottom and you will know it.
 
The only problem with that scenario is that each shock has four small dents facing the coils that are black and there is white paint on my coils. If there is enough light when I get home tonight I will try taking a picture of the side that is worst and post it tomorrow morning.

Roger
 
Mine did the same thing.
You need to go with a thinner shock body or even take
the shocks and mount them upside down.
You will need to buy the shock eye conversions for your top pins.
 
Here is a picture I took last night of my shock. It was hard to tell because it was dark, but my coil seemed to bow a little to the rear. If that's the case, under flex I might be pushing the coil to the shock and creating the dents. I'll take the tires off the front this weekend and make sure my coils are seated properly and if there is a bow in the coils.

Roger

gallery_1537_94_1104931327.jpg
 
It was all I could do to hold the camera in one hand and the flashlight in the other with the wind blowing and temperatures around 27 degrees in the dark last night. I'm lucky I got the picture taken before all the snow started coming down.

Roger
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top