Dana 44 Ring Gear

Straight6

New Member
I just bought a dana 44 ring and pinion gear set on ebay, I was told the set was a 3.5 ratio but the ring gear has 42 teeth while the rear 9" diff only has 35. Is this correct?
 
I would guess it is correct. The 9" ring being larger would have to have fewer teeth to turn the same speed as a a smaller front gear. I have one in the garage, I'll check it later.

:)>-
 
Ya get one or two sets?
Just curious as I have always heard that front and rear gears needed to match perfectly to prevent any drive train problems.
 
Yah, BigN. If the ring size is the same then the tooth count would have to match, but since they are different sizes the tooth count has to be different to get the same speed at the wheels. The Dana 44 is smaller than the Ford 9 inch.

:)>-
 
I have always heard the size made a difference too :)
But if it works and no damage, good to know this :)
Thanks!
 
Well yah, the ratio has to be the same. In other words, it takes a different number of teeth to make the wheels go around once for 3.5 truns :wacko: of the drive shaft with two different size ring gears. The ratio match is what must be maintained to prevent dammage to the drive train not the teeth.

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top