Dana 44 From A Eb On A Jeep Yjtt

  • Thread starter Thread starter JFRoux
  • Start date Start date
J

JFRoux

Guest
I have a front Dana 44 reverse-cut from a EB 1977 that I want
to put on my YJ 93 with a high Clearance Steering.
Can I just change the outer knuckles with outer knuckles
from a chevy 1/2 ton with flat knuckles and
keep the caliper brackets, calipers and spindles
I originally have on my Bronco Dana 44?
I saw a very good article at
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/steer/yjsoasteer/
about this modification but I need more info.

Thanks for you help,

Jeff
 
Hi Jeff,
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the EB diff was never reverse cut ( high pinion.)
The Chev knuckle use a 6 bolt pattern for the spindles, the EB uses a 5 bolt pattern for disc brake spindles. The drum brake EB 44 uses a 6 bolt spindle.
You now need to figure out if you have a full size reverse cut 44, or if it is an EB diff (about 5-6 inches different in width)
You then need to decide what knuckles to use. ( I would recomend the Chev knuckles, brakes etc for ease of replacement parts, less modifications...)
And finally you will need to decide which bolt pattern of wheels you want to run. Your YJ is 5 on 4.5, the Ford diff will be 5 on 5.5, the Chev pattern is 6 on 5.5.
You will want to match the pattern front and rear to eliminate the need to carry two spares. So you will probably be looking for a rear diff to match the front for strength any ways.
Good luck, post back with any other questions.
 
Thanks for the quick reply,

I took the diff D44 reverse cut (high pinion) on the EB 1977
and I assumed that is was the original on the truck
(I'm new to all of this). Now I know I was wrong... From the picture
I saw at http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm I think it is
from a Bronco full seize 1978-79 because the coils mounting methods
for the Dana 44- ton axle on the full size Bronco shows the unit is
one piece and is welded 360 around the tube and it is exactly
what I have. Inside the housing I read :'' 44 6F 2''. The number
on the diff are difficult to read because they are rusty but on the
inner knuckle driver side I read C38810 and on the coils mounting 72004.
On the inner knuckle passage side I read C38609 and on the coils
mounting 7215C. The diff is 54 1/2" width (from top to top inner knuckle).
I'll also planning to use the rear 9" diff that is 58 1/2" width
(from back to back plat drum). Do you know what it means? One of
the u-joint on the D44 looks new and I've read:'' 371 4 M P USA''.
Is this a 5-297X u-joints?

Jeff
 
Not sure on your u-joint # but you should use the new Spicer # 5-760x.
They are much stronger than 5-297x and is only a few dollars more.
I run Chevy knuckles, spindles/ brakes and hubs on my 68 Bronco. Bolts right up. All Dana housings are the same except the location of the carrier. You can use Scout knucles if you want. I beleive yo have to drill a few holes for the bolts to align. Many are using the Scout knuckles because the steering knuckles are so much higher up than the Bronco or Chevy. Do a tie-rod over conversion and its even higher! :blink:
 
IN HAVE A 71 BRONCO FRONT END IN A 91 JEEP YJ AND I WAS ABLE TO USE 80S STYLE 5LUG JEEP SPINDLES FROM A CJ 7 THE BALL JOINTS ARE THE SAME BUT THE STEERING STAYS UNDER THE LEAF I HAVENT FOUND A WAY TO RAISE THE STEERING YET
 
QUOTE (TODD @ Jul 31 2004, 02:58 AM) IN HAVE A 71 BRONCO FRONT END IN A 91 JEEP YJ AND I WAS ABLE TO USE 80S STYLE 5LUG JEEP SPINDLES FROM A CJ 7 THE BALL JOINTS ARE THE SAME BUT THE STEERING STAYS UNDER THE LEAF I HAVENT FOUND A WAY TO RAISE THE STEERING YET
ALSO THE JEEP SHAFT WILL FIT YOUR SMALL 260 X JOINT IF THE AXLE IS FROM A BRONCO. IF IT IS FROM AN F 150 TH JOINT WILL BE A 270 X AND THE JEEP STUBBS WILL NOT FIT B/C THERE IS NO CONVERSION JOUNT WHEN YOU TAKE THE SPINDELS YOU NEED ALL OF IT FROM HUBS TO BALLS THE COMPLETE UNITSAND YOUR CALIPERS SHOULD FIT THE OLDER JEEP SPINDELS
 
Is there a flat top to the steering knuckle? If so you can have a machine shop drill and tap the top area and add a 1/2" piece of metal as the steering location but it higher up. Here a photo...
 

Attachments

  • NewLeft.jpg
    NewLeft.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 0
Here's another photo showing the steering above the leaf springs. This is the way to go.
 

Attachments

  • Diff_Cover.jpg
    Diff_Cover.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for all your comments. I want to do a high steering
setup with a flat top knuckle. I'm still not sure about what D44 reverse cut
I have. I saw another number on the housing 620072R. Can you help me
to find out what I have? I found a nine flat top knuckle with extra
thick casting section much thicker compare to other flat top knuckles
and I believe it from a Chevy or FSJ knuckles but I'm not sure.
Can I use the spindle, outer axle shaft, roto, hub and calliper I have
with my Bronco D44 and put it on the Chevy Knuckles? To be able to do
that I will have to drill holes in my spindle because the Bronco
Knuckles has 5 holes and the Chevy has 6 holes. Is there a good reason
why I shouldn't do that?
 
I see no problem doing that. I know a guy with a Bronco D44 with Scout knuckles and he had to drill a hole or two to align the spindle. The Chevy knuckles bolt right up, thats what I have on my D44. Had to get discs fast and cheap so I went with the Blazers... :blink: Seems to work decent enough to stop my 38's without power assist. Here's a front view of front end, see how much higher the scout knuckles are stock? It also shows a raised trac bar mount and thwe Chevy 1-Ton knuckles on DOM tube.
 

Attachments

  • track_bar_mount_2.jpg
    track_bar_mount_2.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 0

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top