Dana 20 Rebuild

  • Thread starter Thread starter Toby the Dancing Bronco
  • Start date Start date
T

Toby the Dancing Bronco

Guest
I am going to put new bearings in my Dana 20, as the output shaft has more clearance than the rear axle, but I do not have a manual to describe the procedures or tolarances and such. Any help would be appreciated. BTW, got the rebuild master kit from 4XHeaven for $99.00 plus S&H. $40 cheaper than everywhere else I called. Look em up on the web!
 
Don't recall where I grabbed them from, but I have 6 pages that appear to be scans out of a shop manual of some sort. There may be some info you can use. I'll email them to you since they are kinda big in total.

Anxious to hear how it goes....t case rebuild is my to do list.
 
I had to stop mid-rebuild when I noticed the bearing had spun on the rear output shaft. Closer inspection showed that the reason my speedo quit was because the gear had migrated from its God given place and into the bearing. Dang if it didn't melt and become one with that bearing. The bearing seized to the race and started spinning the race in the housing and chewing tiny bits of aluminum in to the gear oil. Fortunately, Hard Core 4X4 here in Visalia had a used Bronco Dana 20 for parts, and he let me have the housing and shaft (and new speedo gear) for $50.
The 20 itself, though, comes apart in about 10 minutes, quicker if you drop it while picking it up to put it on the bench, but the only part that was really "difficult" was getting the shifter forks out. The pages you sent were valuable and I thank you.
I will be putting the case back in the bronco tomorrow and see if I can remember that if I don't know how fast I'm going, it might not just be the speedo cable...Thanks again. This was not too bad a project, almost gave me the courage to set up an axle. I'll wait til my wife is out of town, though!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top