Cooling

  • Thread starter Thread starter rlnbreloder
  • Start date Start date
R

rlnbreloder

Guest
:( Hello,
I have a 79 Bronco with a newly rebuilt 400. It's got a Crane Fireball II cam, Edelbrock intake, 10:1 badgers, heads fully redone with CJ valves, the whole 9 yards...it really runs great except for this overheating problem I'm having. I relaced the waterpump when I rebuilt the engine, I've got a new radiator, new thermostat (195degree), and a 4000 CFM electric fan that should be more than enough to cool it (with shroud). But for some reason, it won't stay cool..if it sits running @idle more than 5 minutes, it overheats. It'll come up to operating temp and stay there for a minute or two, then start slowly moving to overheat. I've checked the timing, and I'm a bit stumped...
Any suggestions, anyone? I'm open to anything at this point.
Thanks
rlnbreloder
AKA Greg B
 
Try a 180 degree thermostat.What size is your radiator?You might have to go to a 4 core radiator.You could also try Edelbrock's aluminum water pump.
 
Thanks...you're probably right about the radiator. It's brand new, but it's the factory replacement 3-core radiator. I'm pushing around 440HP, I'll try the 180 degree thermostat too. I found a 160 degree one, I wonder if that's too cold..
Thanks for the info! It kinda went over my head about radiator being "factory"..that radiator wasn't meant to cool that much HP.
Thanks Again, I'll try'er out :D
 
I'd stick with the 180.I have 422 hp in my Bronco and I have 2 tranny cooler's in front of the radiator and I run at 190 driving down the road.This is with a 180 degree thermostat and a extra duty 3 core radiator.

getfile.php
 
Thanks! I'll try that 180deg...by the way, that Bronco of yours is AWESOME!! I'm just beginning my buildup, I started with the motor first (engine bay)...mine was straight without rust when I bought it, but it's not lifted yet and the paint is a bit faded.....I honestly don't ever remember seeing a better looking Bronc than yours...great attention to detail!!! ( looked up the rest of yer pics)
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top