Cooling Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter Clifford
  • Start date Start date
C

Clifford

Guest
Does anyone know how to safely test the fan clutch? I don't know if mine is working or not. When the engine is running the fan is spinning, but I don't know if it is because of the small about of friction or it is locked in. The fan spins freely when the engine is off. Please help. '94 bronco 5.0L :wacko:
 
The fan should be rotating with the engine on, but once you shut the engine off, it should stop pretty abruptly; if it free spins then the clutch is starting to go.

I had the same problem in my '92, running temp with a Hi-vol h2o pump was running at 225-230. With a new Severe Duty Fan Clutch it runs at about 202.
 
Thank you very much. That was my problem. Hope to be up by next weekend.
 
Ok, well, I replaced the fan clutch, and the damn thing is still hot. Next I am going to check the thermostat, and the sensor. Which brings me to my question: Does anyone know if the 'check engine' light should come on if the engine gets hot? Just another side note: my truck was just past the "L" today on my way to work.
 
Thats way too hot.....My truck has a two row rad and it NEVER even gets to half way up the gauge.

First thing I would do if I was you:

1. Remove and replace the t-stat with a unit that opens at the same temp that the stock one should.
while your in there drain and flush the rad, then remove the heater core inlet hose, and back flush the engine, by removing the lower rad hose and hooking a garden hose to the heater core inlet hose and letting clean watter run through the engine for a bit. You could also try a jug of the Prestone coolant system flush if you want, but I always do a complete flush of the system with the garden hose after using the Prestone flush stuff.

2. replace the temp sending unit.

3. And if ANY of your hoses that carry coolant even look bad.....replace them.

4. refill with a 50/50 mix of water and quality coolant.

Let us know how you make out!
 
Believe or not my temp guage was wondering all over the place too, I checked and replaced too many components berfore I found the culprit a bad heater core, it started leaking so I bypassed it and the temp guage stayed glued between the r and m, I later replaced it with a Ford Made in Mexico heater core which went out again I now have n after market one which works just fine. Hope this helps. D
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top