Coolent Conversion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cowboydan
  • Start date Start date
C

cowboydan

Guest
if i flush out my whole cooling system, can i swich to rv (orange) coolent? is it worth the time, and would the water pump take to it?
 
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!
I used to work for an oil change shop and I saw so many problems with it in the GM's. From what I understand GM is sewing Dex-Cool (Orange Coolant) because it has actually blown motors. Some how air gets mixed into the cooling system and it starts to gel up the coolant causing an overheat condition that eventually blows the motor.

Ford uses a different type (Yellow Coolant) that you can only get at the Ford dealer for a price. I have seen some problems with this coolant as well.
Most all systems consume these coolants both GM & Ford for some reason. I have seen cars with less than 10K miles come in and need to have the coolant toped off.
I have even had to flush systems on cars that had 50K miles, it is supposed to last 150K miles.
GM has fixed some of the problems by changing the system over to the Green coolant.

If I were you I would stay as far away as you can from that (IMO) Junk.
 
Yea I know 2 of my buddies that have had the same problem one guys blew his motor and the other blew out the heater core. They both had that coolant and it was like a really nasty gel and it was every where and would not seem to come out veryeasy at all. I would stick with the green stuff.
 
I have worked in an oil change place myself .. the main reason that I saw Dex-cool gel was from mixing green and orange together.. they say they are compatable but ar not.. if you have green in your system stay with it .. if you have dexcool stay with it and be sure not to mix them .. Dex cool is a synthetic coolent that is why it is said that it can go 150k miles. as far as toping off cars with it at 10k miles I have done the same with cars running green.
 
i had owned 2 98 cavaliers, both used dex-cool (orange). my first car went to 100,000kms. no problems with toping, turning to gel, or blowing up. bought my next car with 125k, and i put it to 185kas well no probs. i could see all of these happening if i mixed them. i just figured that with high rpm & low speeds... better coolant might help overheating, and not punish my pump so bad. i know there are other things to do as well... but i had to ask
clap.gif
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top