continuously dead battery

slim

New Member
had some starting problems. so after i replaced the solenoid and the battery things were fine, for a short time. the next morning the battery was dead. since then i have charged the battery three times and each time something drains it. could a stuck solenoid drain the battery? need help.............going insane.
 
have your truck checked at autozonw or someplace and see if the charging system is working properly. then check for shorts inthe system if they cant find anything wrong. to check for a short in the system you remove the ground wire fromt he battery. put a test light between the battery post and the negative cable. if the light lights up you have a short in the system. make sure the radio and all power using lights and sop forth are unplugged like the underhood light.
 
hey guys, appreciate the help. i have replaced the alternator. it was only putting out 30amps vs. the 45 needed and i performed the short test. placing the tester between the cable and the post, no light. but my problem still exist. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. i thought this would be a simple fix. could anyone post a picture of their wiring to and from the solenoid. i'm thinking i may have something backwards. who knows.
thanks in advance.
slim
 
hey guys, appreciate the help. i have replaced the alternator. it was only putting out 30amps vs. the 45 needed and i performed the short test. placing the tester between the cable and the post, no light. but my problem still exist. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. i thought this would be a simple fix. could anyone post a picture of their wiring to and from the solenoid. i'm thinking i may have something backwards. who knows.
thanks in advance.
slim
I am having the same problem but I am working on my Buick. Ihad the battery and alternator tested and Advance Auto and was told everything checked out real good. So I had replaced the battery--took the bulbs out of the glove compartment,trunk,turned everything of--still done it. Now I was thinking--I could have a built in regulator in the alternator gone bad and I unhooked the battery and I am letting it set for about a week--if the battery IS NOT DEAD--its has to be the alternator. NOW--OLDER Fords--have tthe regulator on the passenger side of the fender--if your regulator is sticking--it can run your battery down. You can get bad--NEW PARTS--I know. I got 5 bad new starters in 1 day.
 
hey guys, appreciate the help. i have replaced the alternator. it was only putting out 30amps vs. the 45 needed and i performed the short test. placing the tester between the cable and the post, no light. but my problem still exist. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. i thought this would be a simple fix. could anyone post a picture of their wiring to and from the solenoid. i'm thinking i may have something backwards. who knows.
thanks in advance.
slim
Does you truck have a TILT STEERING COLUMN? If so, adjusting the steering wheel as you get in and out CAN RUB THE INSULATION --OFF THE WIREING --AND CAUSE A SHORT--to make ythe battery to go dead. It took my cloudy memory but I just remembered it. To check it you will have remove the steering will and check the wire from where the connection is at the bottom of the steering column and at the top--inside the column.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top