Column Shift Housing

lukeyboy60

New Member
I asked earlier for help on my shift housing and it helped but I still cannot get the darn thing off. Someone told me about two nuts but I cannot seem to find them. It is a '69 bronco 302 V8 with a three speed on the column. Any suggestions?
 
I'm not sure if this will help or not. I don't have a pic and I've never torn into mine....yet!

But here is the step by step from the Helm manual...

Shift Tube Removel and installation
1) Working from under instrument panel, disconnect the horn and directional signal wires at the connectors.

2) Remove the steering wheel, bushing and the spring from the steering column.

3) Carefully remove the pin that secures the selector lever to the hub and remove the lever.

4) Applicable to auto trans only.....

5) Loosen the two flange attaching nuts enough to apply pressure on them (toward center) to release the bolt heads from the steering column tube.

6) Carefully work the flange and slector hub and wires over the upper end of the steering shaft.

7) Slip the shift tube out of the steering column.

8) Starts into the installation of new shift tube....

If this doesn't help, let me know and do some more research. I just got the bronco and I'm still sorting through all the "stuff" that came with it as well as getting familiar with the vehicle itself. BTW I have a 69 with a 302 3 on the tree as well.

Good luck
 
Thanks for the info. I will try again. Do you know if those two nuts are on the the standard shift as well as the automatic shift? I have done all of this except disconnect the wires. I don't think that the wires were whats stoping it from coming off, but I'll give it a try. Thanks again.
 
The removal/installation instructions were for both auto & manual so they should be there. I didn't find anything else in the manuals I have and I haven't actually tore into one myself so hopefully you can figure it out. Let us know how it comes out so we can learn from you frustration. @-)
 
There are two small nuts deep to the turn signal apparatus. Remove it carefully and you will see them. Remove them and as you pull the shift collar be ready for the bolts to drop away as the merely 'hook' into slots on the underside. If neede I have exploded views of this-BroncoRick :lol:
 
Hey, thanks for the feedback. I tried again and of course, failed. I took the steering wheel off, then the blinker insides, the plastic things, and I couldn't see any more nuts. The only thing that I think is holding the blinker housing on is the O ring around the steering shaft. Maybe this has nothing to do with it, but that is the only thing that looks like it is holding on to. Any more help or advice before I take the hack saw to it. :((
 
Really should be straight forward. Where are you located, if I can I could call you (free long distance in US and try to talk you through it-Rick 0:)
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top