Clutch Replacement

Boston_Bob

New Member
93 f150 5.0 motor 5 speed manual 150,000 miles Last winter I was stuck in snow and mud I got the truck out however I burned the clutch out, smoked like crazy, left the truck in the driveway for a year now I want it back on the road. After I smoked it up I drove it about a mile and it locked up and I had to push it back to the drivway. I guess my first question is this something I can do myself? What parts do I buy? Does anyone think I might have done more damage to the tranny. Like everyone, money is tight otherwise I'd bring it to the shop. This is my first post, however I'v been peeking in here for a while Thanks in advance for any pointers
 
Replacing a clutch in an F150 isn't hard if you have the time and the tools. This job may require a buddy, incase you are to be hurt or need an extra set of hands. I would order a replacement clutch and flywheel.
1. Drain the gear oil
2. Remove both drive shafts (4x4 and rear wheel).
3. Disconnect the battery and then remove the starter.
4. Go under the truck and disconnect any wires, lines or plugs connected to the trans and transfer case. Be sure to remember where they go.
5. Disconnect the 4x4 and shift linkages.
6. Unbolt the cross member under the tranny and have a jack under the trans so it dosen't fall.
7. Unbolt the bolts connecting the bell housing of the trans to the engine. Pull back so that the trans input shaft has cleared and lower the trans.
8. Then unbolt the clutch and flywheel.
If I've missed anything fill in the blanks. Also it couldn't hurt to go out and buy a repair manual for the truck. I use the Haynes 1980-1996 Ford Pickup and Bronco, I got it for 16 bucks at the local parts store.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top