Clutch Not Disengaging Completely

  • Thread starter Thread starter Desert Donk
  • Start date Start date
D

Desert Donk

Guest
I have an 85 Bronco, 300 CID 6, the tranny is an NP435 4 speed with 1st gear a granny. The clutch has to be pressed all the way to the stop on the firewall and even then it is not completely disengaged. For example, when stopping at a light it's a bit tough to get into 1st gear if you don't put it in first before you stop completely. Another example is when parked on a mild slope and you want to roll forward a few feet without starting the engine, you can't just push in the clutch, you have to move it into neutral.

I was talking to a mechanic (not particularly a Bronco guy) here in town and he drove it. Said it is as I said, but that it's not worth dealing with at the moment because it 'could be so many things on an old Bronco'.

That was a few weeks ago but I can't just seem to leave it at that, I'm somehow uncomfortable that many components might be slowly destroyed.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be?
 
Oh guess what, in my last explanation I was talking about 1st gear, down shifting before stopping or it's tough to get into gear. I should have said 2nd gear because I ordinarily don't use 1st. I don't think 1st has any syncros anyway. :) Sorry
 
I just had the same problem on an old Willys Jeep. Turned out the clutch pedal needed 3 turns of adjustment, and it now burns the tires!!! My point being, check the pedal linkage and adjust it. If that does not help any at all, then your clutch disc and pressure plate neeed to be replaced.
 
It does have a hydralic clutch. I hadn't thought of that, I will look at the chiltons to see how that is done. The res is full is all I had looked at until you mentioned it.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top