Carb And Manifold Clearance

  • Thread starter Thread starter danlbridgs
  • Start date Start date
D

danlbridgs

Guest
i'm looking at getting an edelbrock performer intake and carb. I have a 67' bronco, 351w, and no body lift with the stock hood. can i install these with a regular round air cleaner, will i need a special air cleaner, will i need a scoop, or a whole new hood? is there a lower lying setup i can get or could i fab up something that would draw air in elsewhere? if anyone has had any experience with this i would really appreciate some help. thanks
 
I have the same problem with my 74. about the only things i can come up with is a body lift, suspension lift, hood scoop. As of now im running the same set up your going too but mine is a 302. I got the stock breather on it & i hate the look & I don't want to jack my bronco up, so i'm keeping my hood closed!!! hood scoop might be the cheapest way out... Good Luck!!! :)>-
 
ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH BODY LIFT IS NEEDED TO CLEAR A WEIAND SHEALTH AND A HOLLY WITH LETS SAY A 3 INCH AIR CLEANER ON A 302? I HAVE A PERFECT HOOD AND WOULD CONSIDER A BODY LIFT BEFORE CUTTING IT FOR A SCOOP AND DONT RELLY WANNA SPEND THE MONEY ON A GLASS HOOD. QUES IS WILL IT FIT WITH A 2" BODY LIFT?.
 
I have a 2" body lift and it fits fine with a 1" riser on top of the carb for the aircleaner. A suspension lift will not help here. I've seen some after market air cleaners that are on't 1" high and pull air from each side.
Here's a drawing so you have the idea. Don't make fun, its a quick sketch...
 

Attachments

  • Air_cleaner_idea.jpg
    Air_cleaner_idea.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 1
You aint gonna get away with just putting a body lift on it. You need at least 3-4 inches to clear everything you have. You will need both the body lift and the hood scoop. Or better yet, instead of cutting the original hood, put a fiberglass high rise on there. I think Kentrol sells hoods but there are other companies that do too. A suspension lift wont do anything for you because it lifts the frame from the axels and everything is attached to the frame (i.e. engine & body). So you wouldn't be doing yourself any good by putting a bigger suspension lift on. Concentrate on the body lift and fiberglass hood.
 
I have a '72 bronco with good hood and scoop on it. I am not taking advantage of the scoop and would be interested in trading w/someone who has stock hood. I'm in Southern California - email me if interested.

[email protected]
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top