Cant Get Truck Started

  • Thread starter Thread starter 91Bronco
  • Start date Start date
9

91Bronco

Guest
I was wondering if someone can help me diagnose this problem. I just bought a 1991 Bronco with a 5.0 126k, last night when the car was delivered I had the key out of the ignition and the car was still running. I had to disconnect the positive cable off the battery to get it to shut off and today when I reconnected the cable the lights on the dash check engine went on with out the key in (almost like ignition was in accessory position) so I put the key in and tried to crank it but nothing happened (starter didn't crank etc). I am thinking it is a bad ignition lock cylinder (not sure) has anyone ever heard of this happening

Thanks
 
I have heard of this happening. I think I know why. All the lights and everything came on when you reconnected the battery because the ignition is stuck in the 'on' position and the key isn't turning in the ignition. Im not sure of the name of the part that is broken but I would replace the ignition in the column.
 
its not your lock cylinder it is the ignition switch replace it
 
I actually had the shaft that drives the switch to the different positions slip a bit. I was able to adjust this shaft (runs from key cylinder to switch). When you turn the key it drives the switch via the shaft to different sets of contacts in the ignition switch box. It's been quite a while ago so I don't remember all the details but my problem was the opposite, it wouldn't engage the starter contacts. If I get a chance this weekend I'll pop off the column covers and take a look to jog my memory.

Good luck
 
Isn't that one of the years that had the recall, for the faulty ignition switch? Maybe azrockrat can confirm, or correct me, but if it is, I'd replace it asafp... those faulty switches are known to burn a truck to the ground
 
not sure on the recall for the broncos, but i know that they were recalling a lot of exploders those years
 
could be the start/run selanoid mounted on the pass. inner fender its connected to the positive batt. wire it kicks the starter and also powers up the ignition. I just replaced mine. put your power back on and tap it with a hammer or pull off the small wire on the little stud and see if the lights go out
 
If it has a tilt steering column, you may have a broken ignition switch actuator. It is a small stirrup shaped part in the column that the ignition switch actuator rod is connected to. It is made out of pot-metal and is known to fail. They are also loads of fun to change, --think push button under the dash! Dan.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top