cab wiring problems

79 super4x4

New Member
hello everyone I am new to the site so please bear with me. I have a 1979 supercab F-150 4x4 and do not have power to anything in the cab, such as heater blower ,gas guage ,oil gauge,temp guage, ammeter guage,dash lights etc. Don't know much about wiring so if anyone has any helpful hints as to what the problem could be, they would be greatly appreciated.
 
Welcome to the Zone
clap.gif
. Check your fusable links. They are attached to the battery side of the starter solenoid. Depending on weather you have a ammeter or not there may be a split in the harness where some wires go to the heater blower motor. At that split there may be two fusable links buried under all the tape, one going to a yellow wire and one going to a black with orange stripe wire. NOTE: the fusable link is the just a small gauge wire that will burn out, it is not the rubber knot with the gauge marking on it that attaches it to a larger wire. Tug on the small wire to see if it is broken, sometimes the insulation stays intact while the wire separates.

Hope that gets you going in the right direction.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
thanks for the reply. I checked all fusable links under the hood and power wires. they all seem to be ok. do you know of any behind the dash in that harness?
 
hello everyone I am new to the site so please bear with me. I have a 1979 supercab F-150 4x4 and do not have power to anything in the cab, such as heater blower ,gas guage ,oil gauge,temp guage, ammeter guage,dash lights etc. Don't know much about wiring so if anyone has any helpful hints as to what the problem could be, they would be greatly appreciated.


Check the Harness where it attaches to the ignition switch. Remove the switch from the dash and unplug the harness from it. look for blackened connectors both on the switch and in the assembly where it plugs onto the switch. If the connections get weak they begin to get hot, and the hotter they get, the "looser" they get until they completely lose contact.
 
thanks fe superduty. I might have found the problem. There's a brown wire that seems to run the whole length of the harness that is totally fried. I checked the fusebox for the fuse marked "instrument panel with a testlight and can't get power with or without the key on. Hopefully when I trace and replace this wire, this solves the problem. thanks for the helpful hints and keep 'em comming.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top