Bronco's And Ice

  • Thread starter Thread starter tjohnson
  • Start date Start date
T

tjohnson

Guest
I live in Utah and this is the first snow with my Bronco. How do they do on ice rodes and it the snow? Thanks Tom
 

Attachments

  • bronco2small.JPG
    bronco2small.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 24
They do damn well, but like any 4X4, you have to understand that just because you have added traction to drive, it DOESN'T mean it is going to help you stop! You will have to take it easy the first few times, and get a fell for your vehicle as well as your own driving skills........
 
I find that it is good to keep the hubs locked, (I have manuals), and in 2 wheel when driving on roads that are just wet and a little sloppy, If snow and ice covered I keep it in 4 wheel and ease up on the speed a bit.

When going down a hill on a snow covered road I definately use 4W. In 2W the rear tires want to be up front when breaking, in 4W they have to match what is going on with the front tires. That characteristic might be improved with rear brake adjustment, but mine don't seem to stay that way, they don't get totally out of adjustment but the front brakes grip harder than the rear.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
My 89 did not do well on ice until I got the 35" MT's sipped. All mud tires have the flat tread block style which acts like slicks on ice. Once sipped they gripped like alterains.
I was so impressed with the handeling I decided to sipe my 68 Bronco's 38" SX's. Man what a difference on the trail, rocks and snow! I received more traction due to the cuts in the tires and I also noticed the tires flexed more over rocks for added traction! :rolleyes: The downfall is some tire mfg's will not warrantee a defect in the tire if its been sipped. <_< But I think its worth it.
Only sipe the center tread blocks so the outer lugs don't tear apart on the rocks. :)>-
 
I had the same thing done to my 79 and it worked great in Alaska, but now that I am in GA. there is no need.
 
All good tips. I believe you just cannot beat good tires. new are great,but costy. I got 4 Michelin all season 265 75 R15 new truck take offs for $200. Lucky me.Then added 8 40 lb bags of water softner salt, 4 on each side in the rear. They are cheap,clean,stack well and I use em up during the summer. When the roads are gonna be bad , I lock the hubs to be ready,but seldom need to use 4Hi
The 9" 4:11 posi dont hurt either.
clap.gif
 
Whoops to many broncos . I use 8 bags in my plow bronco to help offset the weight of a 7.5 ft western blade. In my street ride I use 4, makes it ride smoother too! P.S. wait til nobody else is around then drive it like its your mother-in laws. Then you'll know what it can do. >:)
 
First good snow take it to a parking lot and slide it around. They handle well, but braking can be a pain. Sometimes it's like stopping a greased brick depending on your tires and the road conditions.

Here in GA we just get ice on the roads. The snow melts when it hits and refreezes. I love going out after a little snow and pulling out all the yankees who said "You call this snow? This is nothing, you just don't know how to drive in it", and laughed at us the night before.

If you already drive in snow, and know how a car behaves they're fantastic.

brad
 
mine does fine here in alaska w/ 35" bfg at. i rarely use 4hi, but if the roads are bad enough i keep the hubs lock in case i need the extra traction. the trac-lok'd rear don't hurt either.
 
Mine's doing alright. I have some small, cheap tires, although I want to get some 32-33" tires sometime. I have a ~60 lb. sub box in the back along with my spare and a bunch of crap, so that adds some weight. Not to mention my tank is almost always full, or at least half full.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top