Bronco Center Console Mod

Yeah, I saw this too. Actually, I've been thinking of putting one in my truck. If anyone is thinking of doing this, feel free to ask any questions. By day I'm a network engineer, I support over 300 workstations and 6 servers, and I'm the only IT guy in the house. I know what's what when it comes to PC's. I also have more parts than you could ever believe. I'll take pics when mine is done..I have a few projects to finish first though.
 
Fly - any chance you've got anything worth selling, so a guy - like myself - could do this same sort of project? I wouldn't actually need a large amount of Gig's, or a super fast hard drive, but I do want to build something that can handle being used as a GPS, and entertainment system for the kids. Ultimately, I'd have 3 small monitors - one up front, and two in back

Any ideas on how to build it, to handle the rigors of being in a truck that's driven offroad?
 
David...yeah, I have ALOT of hardware. I have PIII 900 Mhz processors, mainboards to match, 633 Mhz processors, all Intel stuff...RAM, floppies...fans..power supplies....one thing I will suggest is building your carputer using windows 2000. Windows XP will devour any processors less than 2Ghz, which is pretty much everything except for brand new PC's. I'm not a fan of XP. 2000 is quick, stable, and reliable. None of that bell and whistle shit that makes XP so clunky and buggy.

I obviously dont have spare LDC touch screens laying around....but you can buy a 7" from www.etronics.com for 225. I'd suggest staying away from EBAY when purchasing this item. Most of the new touch screens from EBAY ship from Hong Kong..you could have customs repossess your new monitor and be SOL.

The rear LCD's need not be touch screen (keeps the driver in control)...you can get plain old LCD monitors from ebay for around 100 bucks. I'd sell you everything you need from the PC side for 75 bucks. Total PC parts, including two rear screens and touch screen would be around 500 bucks. The only other thing you'd need would be materials for the console. I'm building mine from black PVC sheet material I got from Menard's. Oh yeah, and you'r going to want to purchase a splitter for the rear RCA video connections.

Most of the Mainboards I have are built with integrated video cards, sound cards, and network cards (handy for MP3/DIVX transfer from laptop or other source).

You are right, you dont need a huge HDD to run this. 2-3 gig would be enough to serve as a DVD system. I'm doing a 80 GB drive, but mine will be mostly for MP3's. Yes, I do know how to build this for off road rigours. I am fabricating a HDD (the only moving part besides DVD-ROM drive and fans) carrier which uses R/C truck shocks for suspension. Everything else can take the beating you'r going to dish out to it. I'd probobly turn the system off if you plan on banging down the trail anyway. As long as it's fastened down, it wont hurt any of the other parts to take a beating. LCD screens are actually quite robust..they can operate anywhere from -10 degrees to 100 degrees. I would suggest building velco attached "shrouds" for the monitors if your Bronc gets hotter than 100. They are safe in the vehical down to -30 degrees. Mine will be removeable, since where I live we often do see -30 in the winter.
 
Ok..so I started to get a little more pumped about this project, with the discussion strings and all. I went out last night to start building my enclosure..and I found out there there is no way to glue the PVC together. I tried actual PVC glue, but it melted the material. So off to Wal-Mart I went. I found a center console there for 25 bucks called a "clutter collector"...which turned out to be perfect. There are 4 cupholders, a sliding/locking cover...and best of all, a indentation that JUST fit the DVD drive!(after doing some stragetic destruction with the Dremel). The drive has to sit vertically (with the tray pushing straight up), but that shouldnt be a problem from an operational standpoint. I spent the majority of last night cutting, melting, and fabricating the console. I wouldnt recommend tackling this without the Dremel. I fit everything inside with room to spare, but only in one configuration...any other way, and it just wouldnt fit. It looks PIMP to say the least. I'm going to carpet the sides of it black to give it an original look...all I have to do is fab. a bottom out of 1/4" ply, fasten it to the console, carpet it, and hook it up!

My digital cam is in the back of my friend's truck, but as soon as I can I'll get pics posted. The inside of the enclosure is not organized to say the least, but it will work, and it looks great on the outside! It will look much more stock than other carputers I've seen, which is what I'm going for.
 
Is there anyway that when you get the setup done if you could write up some instructions or some guide lines on how to do this project.
 
Dude, I say, build and sell them! If you can make them cheap enough, build one, then mark-up the cost a little for you to make some money. If you're making a good enough profit, you could make quite a bit of money.
 
My only block to doing that is fabbing a sweet looking console. If anyone knows how to fab/mold, that could definitly happen.
 
that is awsome, but i gotta question, if he's got a regular computer under there then how does he get the gps to display on the computer monitor? is there some special hardware u can buy or what?
 
Most GPS units have a interface to a PC built right on them. It's usually a serial interface. Then you load software like Routis or Mapsource onto your carputer, which reads your GPS co-ords from the handheld unit, and transposes that onto a map. It works great. I use a Garmin E-Trex Legend, I will be switching from Mapsource to Routis so I get voice commands from my carputer.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top