Brake Line Replacement

mgrimess

New Member
Im a newbie to this forum and I have a 97 F250 7.3L TD which is in need of front brake line replacement (brake lines are rotting). Since Ford does not sell replacement (already contoured) line and I have to bend the line myself; could someone advise me on the current line design? The line coming off the brake master has several spirals shortly after the master cylinder; when I bend the line, are the spirals necessary? If so, what is their purpose? I have gone through the topics and reviewed some of the discussions but can not seem to find an answer to my question.

Thanks very much for the help!
Marlon
 
Im a newbie to this forum and I have a 97 F250 7.3L TD which is in need of front brake line replacement (brake lines are rotting). Since Ford does not sell replacement (already contoured) line and I have to bend the line myself; could someone advise me on the current line design? The line coming off the brake master has several spirals shortly after the master cylinder; when I bend the line, are the spirals necessary? If so, what is their purpose? I have gone through the topics and reviewed some of the discussions but can not seem to find an answer to my question.

Thanks very much for the help!
Marlon
hi marlon. yes, the spirals are necessary. as your cab and frame flex independantly of one another as you drive normally on road and especially off, the spirals let the line move and bend over a large amount of line so as not to break or stretch it in one spot. if you bend a clothes hanger back and forth, back and forth at the same spot, eventually it will break there. this is known as the yield point. this is not a good thing for brake line as you can imagine. to replicate these factory bends closely, wind three or so coils around a can of carb cleaner, or anything with that diameter. hope this helps! matt
 
Thanks Matt,

I had a couple of replies via email and did the exactly what you stated. I was able to replicate the line fairly well. Thanks very much for the reply!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top