Body Mount Replacement

  • Thread starter Thread starter streetscene
  • Start date Start date
S

streetscene

Guest
any suggestions on how to remove original body mount bushings on an '88 bronco?
with bolts removed, the bushings seem to need some type of ''puller'' to separate.
any suggestions appreciated, thanks
 
Body mount kit

If you look at a pic for new ones from BroncoGraveyard or LMCTruck, you'll see that the rubber bushings are mounted on a metal tube or "sleeve assembly", which is actually two pieces pressed together. Easiest and fastest way is to cut the bushings and sleeves off with a saws-all, since the sleeves are usually rusted together. You can use a bushing knocker set with a BFHammer and punch to knock out the lower sleeve from above, or thread the body mount bolt back into the bottom sleeve from underneath about an inch, then pound away from above with the BFH and punch. THis will prolly mess up the threads in the bolt and lower sleeve. You can either re-tap it or the bolt or replace it. The 2 under the radiator core support cannot be removed this way due to a diiferent design. The lower sleeve is actually threaded into the upper. I just cut away the bottom rubber, which is recessed for the hex-shaped part of the sleeve. Put some large channel-lock pliers on this part and unscrew the bottom part. I had to torch the passenger-side one cause it was rusted soild and wouldn't budge. Now is the time to install poly boshings and a body lift if you want. Figure about 30 minutes avg. time pounding to get each bushing assembly apart. Inspect the frame mounting points as well. Sometimes these will get wallowed out or cracked by badly-worn bushings. Repair these before going any further, or you will just chew up the new bushings.

[Maybe this should be moved to "Tech Article" section?]
 
hmmm mine were a pain to get off to i just figured it was from being rusted on so i took a hammer and knocked them beeotches off. then i sanded the area and put the new 3'' lift mounts on there and bolted it back down and i am doing great.
 
After having experienced the pain to get the metal sleeves off , you don't want to have to do this again for future removals, so here is a little tip, put a good smear of Copper-cote or equivalent on the inside before installing, I also put this on sparkplug threads, for easier removal, Good Luck.
 
That's a good tip to keep the sleeves from rusting again. I think they get cathodization, too, which freezes them together. I took a grinder to the edges of the sleeves to get them back together easier, and just put some lithium grease on them before installing poly urethane bushings. I was able to re-tap the threads in one sleeve and the bolt for another that I buggered with a BFH. I bought two new core support mounts from LMCTruck, and they were Genuine Ford Motor Co. I checked at 3 Ford dealerships, and they said these were no longer available. HaH!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top