Best location for new electric fuel pump???

surfc1

New Member
I have a 1978 F-250 with a 7.5L/460. It has a full MSD ignition system and I am about to replace the entire fuel system from carb to fuel tank. It currently has a Holley EF/pump and all I am doing is making everything new. The current fuel pump is bolted to the inside of the frame in the bay next to the radiator. Should I relocate it towards the back and lower so that it is somewhat gravity fed? or does it matter since it is electric? Also, I have dual fuel tanks; one in the rear and one side tank with the auto fuel selector switch.

I have all the lines but since they are kevlar I don't want to set it up the old way and have to cut more line later since it cost quite a bit. Thanks!
 
I don't think it really matters where its mounted as long as its in front of both tanks. I would keep it where its currently mounted especially on the inside frame for protection. As long as its electric, it shouldn't matter.
 
Rad! Thanks. Holley instructions said to mount it below tank level for gravity feed but that just didn't seem to make much sense since it is electric. I installed everything but the tanks and the old battle axe running great. I also just put a new Holley Truck Avenger (770) on today too. Works well. Thanks 'bronc76'
 
If the pump ends up not working properly in its current location, you can always move it.
nice truck!
 
Selling parts for many years and ran my own shop and was a service manager even more. Electric pumps are PUSHERS, not SUCKERS. they should almost always be mounted on the frame as close to the tank as possible. The pumps will work while in the forward part of the truck, but they will burn out prematurely. Watch the pressure of the pumps too. the last thing you want is a pump that overwhelms the carb, Edelbrock make great carbs, but they do not take even factory mechanical pump pressure well. I sell and install a Mr Gasket fuel pressure regulator with every Edelbrock i sell. I know the original post talked about a Holley, they are fine, but someone else reading this should know there is a big chance that later on an Edelbrock could be in the cards or may have one themselves.

Mr Gasket #9710
41P8VCD26ZL._SS500_.jpg
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top