Best Lift Methods

  • Thread starter Thread starter wannabe big
  • Start date Start date
W

wannabe big

Guest
what is the best method for lifting a 79 supercab with leaf springs front and back? How high can i go with blocks under the springs, this seams the easiest because I can build the blocks with a axle twist to staighten the u-joints. I want to go 9 or 10 inches but would rather not do a body lift. I want 49" iroks or maybe small tractor tires if i can find wheels to fit.
 
just heard from jbg and they said i would need 18" of lift to keep from cutting my fenders. anyone got any ideals
 
I have done the block lift and it SUCKS!!! Buy the springs with the lift in them, you can also get add-a-leafs and then put a small (1 or 2") block in it. As far as the front you have no choice but to but the springs with the lift built in them, it is illegal to put blocks on the front, its also unsafe. 18" of lift is alot you could cut the fenders add a 4" body lift and a 8" lift and you should get the 49's under it. Are you going to use the 22" rims or smaller? Those tires are about $500 each, damn thats alot.
 
I'm really starting to think more about the small tractor tires since it's for off-road use only. Probably about 38-40"tall. I don't thindI would have to have as tall a tire with the deep tractor lugs (pobably rice and cane tread).I think these would do better in the mud. Do you know how much of an offset you can get wheels. I want them to stick out as far as possible without weakening anything.
 
the more that the tires stick out the more stress from the weight of the truck you are gonna put on wheel bearings and ball joints
just something to think about.
had a buddie weld some wheels inside of a set of military wheels once,off road only but it was huge, 40's or something like that
 
I use the skyjacker softride system. I'm very pleased with it it costs a little more but everything you need is there. its worth the cost cause i had blocks before and they are hard on everything cause they make all your drive line components torque in ways they shouldnt. oh and you are right in staying away from bodylifts too. a suspension system is the way to go spend the money and do it right
 
...... you can do a shackle flip on the rear, and you should be able to get about 5" of lift according to the guys here on the forum... if you go int othe truck forum, then you can read my post about doing a shackle flip...... in the reply somewhere, a nice site was posted that has a tutuorial as to how to do it..... you will still need/ want lifted springs, and a couple inches of body lift.....
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top