Any Improvement For Headlights Available?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Desert Donk
  • Start date Start date
D

Desert Donk

Guest
I am wondering if anyone out there has found someone offering improved technology for 85 Bronco headlights. I'm talking about on road, not offroad lights. I don't want blue lights for cosmetic reasons or some such junk. But I must admit that once headlights were deregulated, with some notable exceptions, many headlights improved the way we see at night.

Searching the internet I see things offered for newer, and even older Broncos but the 80's seem to be in a dead zone for some reason.
 
Have you looked for the Sylvania SilverStars or the ones they have that are super-bright??? I'm not sure what brand I have (GE?), but they are twice as bright as the old ones.
 
wagner truview or theres some made by philips that are a little pricey but they work wonders.
 
Thanks guys. I did some searches and lots of people complaining about the Silverstars burning out fast. The Truview looks interesting, they only seem to be carried by Carquest here so I'll have to stop by and see how much they cost.
 
most autoparts stores carry it

NAPA, any Parts Plus store, autozone has something similar if not TruViews.

where are you located?
 
I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I will try NAPA too because the carquest place near my home doesn't have them and I'd have to go 15 miles to another that does. NAPA is just down the street. :)
 
I liked my set of 9007 Silverstars that I have on my Cougar. Those and my driving lights. People say that these cars with their yellowed headlights don't get much quality on light, but have people been pissed about how much light these have. I had some trucker tailgate me because he was pissed off about them. He followed me for about 10-15 miles and flashed me twice. Jrkoff... But I liked them. My bright switch was messed up, so I never used them, just my headlights and foglights from Wal-Mart. The blue-lense ones are bright, they just don't look good on an older vehicle. You could use some NiteShades on them, though. Just a light coat should look nice. I'm thinking about getting a cheap pair from Wal-Mart, just some that go with the look. They have a multicolor shine to them. They probably shine yellow, though. If I don't like them, I'll just try the NiteShades on them.

By the way, does my 88 Bronco use 9007 or 9004?
 
I can't remember the Brand right off. But Auto zone has them. There called Cool blues If I remember right. They don't shed the blue tint like you see. But they are much brighter then the others I've used. Been working fine in my Truck for a few years now. I believe they costed me about $30 for the pair.
 
I have Silver Stars for my new truck and love em, but I have seen projector type High Intensity Discharge (HID) style lights on the internet. I just can't remember where...
 
Pics of my Silverstars:
LowBeams.jpg

HighBeams.jpg
 
I hate those ultra bright lights. There's no need for them and people rarely adjust them right, so they blind you going down the road.

If you're going to use them at least have the decency to adjust them on a slight down angle. You'll still get the same range without shining it in everyone else face.

brad
 
Mine don't shine in everyone else's face. The ones in the Cougar did. These have a whihter light then stock and most replacements. I haven't been flashed, although I don't have foglights on, yet.

P.S.: They're not stupid. They've helped me be able to see a lot better than I could before, and I still can't see that well. I guess I'm used to my Cougar, with bad adjusting to the headlights and 55wt foglights that were on all the time.

There are also the newer Chevy trucks which have been blinding me, and they're most likely set by stock. I've probably had 6+ instances in the past month where I thought that a Chevy pickup had its brights on, when it didn't. I even flashed one just to be flashed back because I thought his brights were on they were so blinding.
 
88pimpin said:
P.S.: They're not stupid. They've helped me be able to see a lot better than I could before, and I still can't see that well. I guess I'm used to my Cougar, with bad adjusting to the headlights and 55wt foglights that were on all the time.

There are also the newer Chevy trucks which have been blinding me, and they're most likely set by stock. I've probably had 6+ instances in the past month where I thought that a Chevy pickup had its brights on, when it didn't. I even flashed one just to be flashed back because I thought his brights were on they were so blinding.
Yeah, I changed the stupid bit after i posted. it was a bit much. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I've only seen one or two people with them adjusted so they didn't blind everyone else on the road. They're a great idea, but people, even some auto shops, adjust them straight on and you really don't need to.

Adjusting them a couple of degrees downward makes the roads a lot safer for everyone. I was always taught, with standard lights, to point the car at a wall about 10-20 ft away and adjust so the top part of the main beam is more or less straight on. That way I don't blind people as much and can still see well. I really only need to see the road and what's ahead anyway, and the outer ring of light cast from them does a pretty good job of illuminating anything above car height. Aiming them straight on you're just shining a whole lot of the light up in the air where it's wasted anyway.

brad
 
If you power your lights directly from the battery it will do wonders for the brightness, even with standard headlights. The reason this works is it cuts out the long wire run and voltage drop that exists with Ford's wiring.

I used a plow kit and a relay to do it. that way I can always revert to the factory wiring if necessary, I
clap.gif
back up systems :lol: There is also a diagram at BigBroncos.com showing a different way to do it.

So if it helps standard lights, think what it would do for high tech lamps.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Also, on my Cougar, I ran 80/100wt lights and some driving lights, but that was too much wattage for them, and the MFS (turn signal and wiper controls switch) burned out. I hooked them up to relays, and also to my remote foglights so I could turn my headlights and foglights on with a remote. It helps when you're walking to your car at night, especially when you're out in the country and hear coyotes.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top