Another Rear End Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter broncostein
  • Start date Start date
B

broncostein

Guest
I bought a well used 79 Bronco. It is a bit of a Frankenstein (hench Bronchostein).
The engine is a 351M and the tranny is a C6, frontend Dana 44 but the rearend is not a Ford 9 inch. I know what it isn't but I don't know what it is.
The rear cover plate looks like the front cover plate (10 bolts, gear reliefs are the same) so I think it maybe another Dana 44.
The axle tag is: 2 72 D7TA AF
603869 7

The right axle tube is: 687A8

The rearend has the correct spring mounting perches and shock mounts.

Anyone have any ideas or know of any websites to decode the tag?
It would be nice if it is a Dana 60, but I'm not holding my breath.
 
Found my own answer while waiting for a reply.
Drivetrainsuperstore site has a decoder. 603869 decodes to be a Dana 44 out of a 77 Ford 1/2 ton truck.
I guess the next question is, Is the 44 as strong as a 9 inch?
I plan to rebuild the 351M with the usual upgrades, intake, cam, lifters, 4bbl carb and headers (if I can find them), compression ratio increase 9.0 to 9.5 and put 34 or 35's for the trails around here.

I live in Arkansas with mud in the south and rocks in the north.
 
junk the axle go 3/4 ton,you'll thank me later.
don't know what you know about building 351m's but there are alot of good sites worth checking out,not that i am qualified to say but i would suggest;shaving heads .030 or more,mill intake too to match,spin balance complete rotating assembly,adjustable vavletrain,dual plane intake(offy makes a good one)recurve you vac advance,probably a .272 or .280 adv.dur cam(something that sounds good too)set of headers,600 cfm holley(infinatley adjustable)smart gears and tires and above all a good sense of pride follow directions and do it right.
if you don't get adjustable vavle train remember to buy some shims to set the preload.
good luck
 
If you want the rear to last witjhout sinkin lots of $$ into it. look in the late 80's early 90's F250/350 for the Sterlin 10.25 35 spline axles from the get go. much strong then the rear 60. The find 70's 8-lug D44 outters to replace your 5-lugs. bolt on swaps. then you'll be set to have a bullet proof drivetrian with a d60 front. then no worries rim and tire size changes.
 
Thanks for your inputs guys, I'll look into upgrading as $$$$ becomes available.
Again, Thanks
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top