Aluminum Heim Joints

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Anyone know the strength on an aluminum heim joint with a metal ball socket? Only the outer area of the female heim casting is aluminum.

This trac bar I found is actually off a fork lift. So basically it has alum. female heim joints connected to solid steel bar stock with 3/4" male threads. Its 1" short of making it to the frame mount even after I raised the mount on the axle. Once I unthread the heims 1/2" out on each side it fits. Now the heims have a 1/2" hollow cavity inside. Will this cavity become a problem in your mind? I have another trac bar that is .120 wall tube with regular 3/4" male ends I've used in the past. Which one do you think is stronger? The solid steel bar with alum cast metal joints looks and feels stronger to me and plus its off a forklift. Maybe I'll take some photos tonight...
 
Yes it was off a forklift but a forklift doesnt bounce down a trail and go over chatter bumps. The bar is probably strong but wouldnt be my first choice for something driven on the road . If it lets go at 60 MPH itll be a hell of a ride :D
 
Yeah, that was my thought too but I have seen them on hydraulic rams so I'd think they should be strong enough. See attached photo... Like you said I don't want it to break going 60+ mph in the dunes or freeway.
I'm going to buy some beefy female rod ends from Performance Unlimited and attach them to my solid bar and keep the alum/metal rod ends for trail spares.
Better to be safe than sorry eh?
 

Attachments

  • img_0033.jpg
    img_0033.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 0
Just found out that the heim joints I have are actually chrom molly! :blink:
They looked alum to me but were too heavy so I took a magnet to it and it stuck. Then I looked up the Aurora part # on line AW-12-Z and see its a bad ass spendy chromoly! :D/ Guess they eye can be fooled somtimes...
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top