Alternator Circuit Problem '83 Bronco

  • Thread starter Thread starter jslebod1
  • Start date Start date
J

jslebod1

Guest
I've got a battery charge problem. Drove truck for a while and eventually battery died. I put another spare fresh battery in and checked voltage across battery before and during running and it's staying at about 12V. It's not jumping up to 14-14.5V when running, so first thought is alternator. I put in new alternator that tested good at Advanced auto parts. I touched the battery output at the back of the alternator and it's reading 12V(when trucks running), same as battery. I've done the same on another car of mine and it showed the 14-14.5V I'm supposed to be getting??

Next I replaced the voltage regulator at advice of auto parts stor guy, didn't fix.
I don't understand that alternator circuit very well, I've got 2 wires in back of alternator. 1 large one that runs directly to battery post on starter solenoid(I assuem this is the one that acts to recharge the battery?) and smaller one that runs from "FLD" on back of alternator to "F" input into voltage regulator. Can somebody expand on function of these two wires, any suggestions on what else to check...Help!
 
Well, here is the charge circuit for the 83 with ammeter, if you don't have an ammeter then the wire goes direct,No shunt wire and the fuse links on the right are hooked directly to the solinoid.

If you ask me, you got a new but BAD component. Either the alternator or voltage regulator. Start the truck and then pull the positive cable off the battery. If it stops, the alternator isn't putting out. Putting a meter on the alternator with the battery hooked up will show the battery voltage if the alternator isn't putting out. I'd guess the New alternator is bad.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Where did you get the alternator from? If you got it at auto zone then that is your problem (IMHO) I do not like dealing with them especially there reman parts do to the fact they are junk (again IMHO).

I have however gotten bad parts from all of the LAPS but auto zone seems to have the biggest problem.
Bring it back and get another one and try that.
 
Advanced Auto is really great for alternators :)
I put 5 of theirs on within a year on ONE vehicle before getting another from somewhere else :D
Thier problem is that the voltage regulators (built in) just couldn't handle any load at all.

I would take the alternator back, let them test it and see if it is truly the problem, then go from there.
 
I concur.....60amp just aint enough. Since your replacing the alt anyway....get one thats 100 AMP or more.....then upgrade your battery cables. It will not cost you all that much more, and the advantages are more than you will know~!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top