Advice Tank Line Patch And Gauge

brentusbrutus

New Member
Just looking for a bit of advice..

I took out my fuel sending unit. Found out it was leaking where it connects to the gas line. I am planning on JB Welding it around the metal line . (it is leaking at the base of the line)

I also want to get my gas gauge working working. My first thought was to drill a little hole where the existing hole was, and then put a small bolt through, then attatch the lead from the fuel sending unit to one side of the bolt, and attatch the fuel gauge wire to the outside of the bolt, then JB WELD the hell out of the Bolt to try and seal it in.
I kinda put this idea across to a Canadian Tire Parts guy when I was buying my JB Weld, and he said I could blow myself up because of the metal on metal.

I am now thinking about JB'ing an insulated wire through the tank.
What are your thoughts?

Take a look at the Pictures and tell me what you think...

P.S. Hopefully the Pic will show when I actually post, if not, you might have to use your imagination. :)
 
Some radiator shops weld gas tanks, don't do it your self, There is a guy near me that has been doing it for most of his life and he still had one blow up in his face, he survived but has a scar on his chin, they can weld the tank with solder, as for leaky lines, just replace them with rubber fuel hose,
 
Hello again,
Just so you know, JB Weld is a product that is an epoxy. I wasn't going to actually weld it myself. Thanks for your concern though :)
 

Attachments

  • TankFuel_Line.jpg
    TankFuel_Line.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 30
I can understand that if you don't have the 120 bucks for a new sender unit why you are trying to cob this one together. Why don't you drill the hole thru the top of the sender where you used JBWeld, feed the wire thru and then seal around the wire? You need to have them electricaly isolated from the metal. Then put plug connectors on the wires from the sender and the pair from the gague. You don't want to take the chance of an electrical arc at or nearthe tank the tank. That is why the ground for the sender is back at the dash.

I wouldn't do it, but if your life isn't worth 120 bucks, do whatever.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Well..
I think my life is worth $120.00. With the exchange rates and shipping and handling, 120.00 turns into 200.00 pretty quick!
I also paid $340.00 for the Vehicle, I have spent a couple thousand dollars here and there getting it ready for the road. If I can safely save myself 120.00 here and 120.00 there, i have to.
I just figured that if there was a safe way to do this fuel gauge thing myself, why not try it?
But if there is a good chance that I could blow myself up, then I won't.

Thanks for your advice...
 
No offence intended, just added the issue to point out the possible problem involved. Any of us who have these older trucks have to find out what we can and can't do and when it's time to bight the bullet for safety sake.

Good luck,


:)>-
 
The wire is supposed to run all the way through. It also appears that your vent tube is missing, this could also turn into an dangerous situation, if you have a sealed gas cap.

I would OHM the sending unit out, to see if it actually works before I did any rewiring.

Also I agree with SEABRONC...$120 ain't worth my life.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top